Snail Acclimation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jobiwan

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didn't notice a general Invert forum, but I know Anthony knows his stuff so I took a stab here. Everything I have found bookwise and intermet wise talks to the importance of very slow acclimation of molluscs. However, snails are virtually never shipped in water due to pollution and shipping cost concerns. Anyone who has ordered large quatities of snails knows what I am talking about. Other that floating them in their bag for temp adjustment, how can I acclimate them properly from their wrapped in damp newspaper shipping mode, thanks, Joe

they shold always be shipped dry when the transit time is short enough (usually less than 18 hours) and temperature can be insured.

The problem with water is ammonia... snails are extremely sensitive to it and suffer long term damage if exposed (many people have seen "stunned" snails linger for days or weeks after import underwater before dying)

I am presuming you are talking about general turbo type snails (Atlantic or Pacific)

If so... the above holds true... just take some minutes for the box to come to room temp, rinse the snails in a bucket of aquarium water for some minutes to pass waste they were holding in... then put them into the tank (but not the purge water in the bucket of course)

Back