snails and hermit crabs a problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

quicksilver

when adding clams to my tank i do just fine but like 2 to 3 weeks latter some die. My water is perfect my corals are growing like crazy. I think its my snails and hermits that keep knocking them over and moving them. They have no time to attach to the live rock when they get knocked over or moved. Starting to really make me mad. lost 2 squamosa's and them suckers are hard to find. Guys give me some advie should i remove all them snails and clams?:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hi Mike,
I have been told that recently some of the squamosa's that are being sold have not been harvested in a good manner. At the wholesaler the clams look like the byssal organ has been damaged.

We all have snails and hermits in our tanks too. I don't think they are the problem. When I add clams to my tank I try to move them a very minimal ammount for the first 2-3 weeks. Moving them stresses them.

Can you post some clear pic's of the clams? And all of your param's?

my thing is that i have a good population of snails maybe 30+ and some quite big and they keep knocking over my clams. and them some of my hermits climb on them and do the same. its on going i am tying not to move them but when they are up side down you have to. They dont have time to attach making me mad you know

I have decide to go crabless from here on out. from my experience which isn't a whole lot really crabs are evil little buggers.

I think my snails are evil and keep knocking everything over to make me mad. actually i moved all my snails and everyting is doing great.

I thought squamosa like to be on the sand bed there for that is probaly why its not attatching quickly to the rock (I've had a squamosa and it never wanted to attatch to the rock). I have croceas and a maxima on my rock work and I have moved them dozens of time often having to cut their footing. Where ever i place them they will start to attatch to the rock within hrs and within the next couple of days they are firmly attactched to the rocks. So I don't think your hermits or snails are knocking them off. The clam is probaly just moving itself off of the rock work. JME

sorry but my squamosas were in the sand bed but my snails keep going down there and climbing on them so i removed all my big ones and now i only have small snails and every thing is doing better.

Back