Snails keep dieing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jc130b

I have had this 75 gal setup for about 45 days. I used live rock and new dry sand and about 35 gals of used water from my 55 gal and the rest of the water is ro/di. I tried putting in snails several time over the last 2 weeks and they all die, 2 days ago I put in 5 snails 5 hermit crabs and a small kenya tree and I only see 2 hermit crabs alive and the kenya tree is purple and lieing on its side. I have a skimmer and it is pulling gunk out and also have power compact lights with new bulbs. I also have Carbon and nitrate remover In the sump under low flow.

Salinity--1.20
Temp--79
Amonia--.5
Nitrate--10
Nitrite--0
PH--8.0
Copper--0
Phos--1.5
KH 9.6
ALK--3.43
Calcium--315
Thanks for any help or suggests

Are you seeing them dieing or are their just empty shells showing up??

I will bring up the salinity and amonia down ( I know I want 0 ammonia, but I thought .5 wasn't high enough to kill stuff.), and I'm seeing the snails die.

45 days can still be young, even with stuff from your smaller tank, your tank seems maybe still stabilizing, so keep the wc's going, carbon etc and give her some mature time! Once your numbers starts looking better try it again, you can slowly, real slowly move your sg up to 35ppt or 1.026sg maybe a little less and get better results also!

45 days can still be young, even with stuff from your smaller tank, your tank seems maybe still stabilizing, so keep the wc's going, carbon etc and give her some mature time! Once your numbers starts looking better try it again, you can slowly, real slowly move your sg up to 35ppt or 1.026sg maybe a little less and get better results also!

Agreed...If you are still reading traces of ammonia, then your tank still has a bit of cycling left to go. Snails, inverts etc are even more sensative to ammonia than fish and really shouldn't be present at all when adding them in. Get that salinity up and allow the tank to cycle out and when you read 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite for a few days straight (I'd say a week to be safe) then you can go ahead and add in a few snails and see what happens from there.

Just a few thoughts. :)

Here is an ideal range of each parameter:

Salinity (Specific Gravity): 1.024-1.026
Temp: 72F-78F
Ammonia(NH3/4): 0ppm Always!
Nitrate(NO3): 0ppm-40ppm (Tank Bio-Load, any higher is bad)
Nitrite(NO2): 0ppm
Ph: 8.2-8.4
Copper: 0ppm (Not sure why your testing for this?)
Phospate: 0ppm - .5ppm
dKH: 8 - 12 (depending on Calcium & Magnesium Levels)
Calcium: 420ppm - 440ppm
Magnesium: 1300ppm - 1450ppm

You Should be testing for Magnesium if you have Corals. A good rule of thumb is your Magnesium (Mg) should be 3x as much of your Calcium level. Again these are ideal parameters that some people, such as myself, try to maintain.

My 55G reef @ 1 year old is:

S.G. 1.025
Temp: 77F
pH: 8.2
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Phosphate: .5ppm
dKH: 9
Calcium: 420ppm
Magnesium: 1300ppm

Copper: 0ppm (Not sure why your testing for this?)

You Should be testing for Magnesium if you have Corals. A good rule of thumb is your Magnesium (Mg) should be 3x as much of your Calcium level. Again these are ideal parameters that some people, such as myself, try to maintain.

S.G. 1.025

Thank you this makes it easy!

Copper: 0ppm (Not sure why your testing for this?) because it will kill the inverts......

S.G. 1.025

highlighted in red

well he dont need to use copper period he did the right thing and tested for it. it also could have been from another system ie the rock he bought not sure if the equipment was used from someone but some people are shady like that and use copper to treat ich and their tank dont recover from that and they just sell it off. also pennies being dropped in a tank with out knowing. i had a friend in san diego had that happen to him his tank was 2 years old and he started loosing all his inverts....he tested his tank an found copper was really high. later he found a few pennies in his overflow, he has 3 kids.

True that....anyone with kids around should have a copper test kit on hand. I learned this the hard way. Any trace of copper is like a nuke bomb to a reef system. Fish love it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I tested for copper to elimate it. After reading these forums I tried to elimate everything and gather all the info I could.

Back