snowflake eel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

slim_jim989

Lion in the cave
so how to catch a snow flake eel that u cant see? I put my snow flake eel in my tank about 2 and half weeks ago and have only seen him one time. and now three of my shrimp are missing and so is my sea hare :( (it was a black with teal spotted one) but ive shaked the rocks and went looking for him so many times but come up clueless. so any ideas would be great. and i know he eats cause i put saltwater minnows in the tank for my lionfish and i go thru double the amount now.

I would check around the floor first :shock:...Kind of known for all eels to find the smallest crevice and make the leap (or should I say slide). As for the sea hair, I dont think that the eel would eat it. It would be more likely to starve thank anything.

Good luck, and I hope others chime in with some ideas.

-augustus

Eels are so cool :)

Don't feed the eel (assuming your ornamental crustaceans are gone now) for 7 to 10days. Skewer a shrimp or silverslide with rigid plastic tubing and coax it out. Eels hunt based on scent. The scent in the water column should be enough to bring him/her out.

You could also freeze a steamer clam -> thaw it -> pry it open -> put it in the tank when the light are off and wait with net ready. Snowflakes love to scavenge at night, and steamers are a favorite.

thanks for the advice and stuff ive checked around the tank so far nothing. and the only bad part about not feeding the eel is i leave the salt water minnows in there for my lionfish cause he likes the hunt at night time which is bad ass to watch but i might try to catch him at night with a lure haha i have some frozen fish.

Back