So many questions!????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shogun97

So I have been on this site for so long reading that my eyes are burning haha....I think its finally time I ask for some help!!

What I have......
90 gallon glass tank with a newly drilled internal overflow 1-1/2" bulkhead
33 gallon sump
Euroreef rs100 skimmer
eheim 1262 return pump (900 gph) on the way
2 hydor 600 gph power heads
lighting is still to be decided....

Ok here is my first problem. I paid a visit to my local home depot to see if I can find some pvc fittings so I can began my plumbing. All I can seem to find is ABS?? I heard that these can leach into your tank over time, is this true? Can someone recommend where I can buy pvc for cheap? PS I'm CANADA

Also if anyone has any nice pics of their pumbling setup that I could follow that would be awesome. Oh and where to get unions? Home depot?

Second.
I have been searching everywhere for this southdown/yardright/oldcastle play sand stuff so I can save a few bucks. Does anyone know where and how much I will need for my tank?

Is 1-1/2" bulk head to big for this tank?? This is my first saltwater tank and I'm really trying to do this right the first time. Any and all advice is appreciated =)

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!

It seems strange that a Home Depot would only have ABS pipe and fittings.
I've used some ABS pipe before short term, haven't about the leaching,,,hmmm.

I've bought from these guys before, for pvc fittings I couldn't find locally.
http://savko.com/

IMO there is never a "too big of a bulkhead".

With drains,,,, bigger is best.

Thanks I thought I had read everything on that site! I don't know how I missed that.

Regarding the pvc at home depot....they did in fact have some but it was all like 3 and 4 inch elbows and T fittings...much too big for my application. I might try to find a local guy if someone doesn't have any ideas for me.

Any thoughts on where I can get sand cheap?

Thanks for your reply once again

Nice! Ok now I'm feeling much better about the drain size! I'm still hunting for a local place for pvc. I might go back to home depot and ask again. The guy I spoke to said he wasn't the plumbing guy. Does anyone happen to have pictures of there plumbing?

Place to get cheap sand in canada?

Where are you located? Ive been in home depots from San Fancisco CA. to Bellingham Wa. and have never been in one that didnt carry an extensive supply of PVC fittings. They all carry the same products.

I guess it has something to do with me being in Canada :s I ended up finding the PVC fittings I needed at the local pool store along with some really nice ball valves =) So as far as plumbing goes I'm set.

If only i could find a place to get sand cheap here in Canada!!! HELP!!!!

I guess it has something to do with me being in Canada :s I ended up finding the PVC fittings I needed at the local pool store along with some really nice ball valves =) So as far as plumbing goes I'm set.

If only i could find a place to get sand cheap here in Canada!!! HELP!!!!

Ya, I guess Ive never made it into a Canadian HD. :lol: Close though!
AFAIK southdown sand is very difficult to find up north here. I imagine even more difficult further north.

Sounds like you need to find someplace across the border that has what you need, and schedule a road-trip. Given the strength of the Canadian dollar lately, the trip will practically pay for itself.
(and of course the bags of sand are in your trunk for extra traction in case there is a sudden snowstorm ...)

Well its spring time now so I don't think I will need to worry about the perfect winter storm hahaha....If you guys happen to hear anything about the sand on the site...please let me know!!

On a side note is it bad to have 90's in your drain plumbing? I'm pretty sure I read that you can have them in your drain but not so good to have them in your return.

Back