Sock or not to sock........

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

assuming you mean filter socks, i am all for them...mine collect alot of crap out of the system...i have been very lax about changing them out every 3-4 days..i have been letting them go for about a week at a time, which is not good to do..they have become impossible to clean....they get clogged and have to be washed multiple times...they also begin to build nutrients into your tank if left for more than a few days..it's best to change them as much as possible..the best way to do this is to buy multiple socks at a time..i have 4..i use 2 at a time, while washing the other 2..i need to buy several more so that i won't have to wash them as much

You'll all call me crazy but I use plain ladies nylons on my drains. I cut one knee high in half...put that half over a pvc T, rubberband it, and twist it onto the drainpipe. Change them every 3 days...helped out alot with water clarity as wierd as that sounds. I will probably switch over to actual sock after moving to a new sump that has them built into the lid...but for now cheap is good.:D :badgrin: :D

I use them. I tried going without them about 2 years ago. Bad idea. I also use three of them at a time. One inside the other. Reason being is I notice dirt on the outside of the bag with just one or two. With three, I don't see anything getting through. I also change them frequently. At least once a week and every three days when I remember.

Personal preference IMO. They will definately help trap detritus which is good, but leave them un-cleaned for too long and it will work against you:)

But that is the case for anything you do? Leave it for more than a few days and it will fight back.
So is it better to sock it or not to?
Personaly any one who does it, sure will change it every few days but will eventualy end up like once a week if that.

there has to be a better, more automated approch to scrubing the water.

I don't recommend using one overnight, Instead I recommend using one while cleaning the tank & then a few hours later remove it & clean it. I usually pull it inside out then hose it off outside, then wash it with my tank towels:) I have a MJ with a 3/4" hose about 5" long on the suction side & the outlet I use a 1/2" hose about 5ft long. I strap a 5 micron sock in the sump & the open end of the long hose inside the sock, then I suck up everything with the short piece & MJ into the sock. This process doesn't take long & the results are awesome, I'm working on improving this procedure to make it easier to do.

I have found that if I use them constantly and change them every 2 days, I get a nitrate spike. I use one for a few hours when I blow off the rock prior to a water change, and then remove it. I seem to have the same amount of small particles in the water whether the sock is used or not; I've got some killer flow going on.

I use them. But to be honest, i don't see much difference in water quality with or without their use. However, I do visably see how much junk they collect. I think this junk would eventually end up in your skimmer too, so if you have a good skimmer, you're probably not going to see too much benefit in using them.

The one reason I don't like them is because they also catch pods and little mysis shrimp and little baby snails and anything else that goes down the overflow into the sump which usually leads to their death.

I use them. But to be honest, i don't see much difference in water quality with or without their use. However, I do visably see how much junk they collect. I think this junk would eventually end up in your skimmer too, so if you have a good skimmer, you're probably not going to see too much benefit in using them.

The one reason I don't like them is because they also catch pods and little mysis shrimp and little baby snails and anything else that goes down the overflow into the sump which usually leads to their death.

Lots has to depend on the MICRON size, most socks you see are either 100 or 50 microns, this is ok but you will see a big difference in the 1 or 5 micron socks!

I ran a 100-micron sock for many months and just got sick of changing them every few days. On advice from another local reefer with a gorgeous tank who doesn't use socks, I decided to remove mine.

So far I haven't noticed any difference in the tank, but I'm sure enjoying not having to clean and change those socks.

i've thought about giving the 5 microns a try, but wouldn't they clog up much quicker???..i already have to change them every 3 days..i am currently using the 100 microns...
one good thing about them is that they cut waaayyyy down on microbubbles that enter back into your tank

i've thought about giving the 5 microns a try, but wouldn't they clog up much quicker???..i already have to change them every 3 days..i am currently using the 100 microns...

Yep but they clear up the water way better, you may need to run the first one for a few hours then it will stop up, then you swap it out & do it again & maybe even a third for a larger tank, then you should have every little thingy floating around in the socks. Then you clean them & don't use them until next cleaning. I never leave them over night, not worth it, & a hassle like everyone is saying.

Wow some really good opinions. I think i will use them while cleaning. The reason I asked about them was because of bubbles more than anything. The bubbles caused from my overflows emptying into my sump are getting returned back into the tank. Any solutions for that?

Jerry

wait this is a new sump?

dont worrie about the bubbles give it some time.

No it's an existing sump and it's funny scooter said baffles. I was disappointed in my mega flow as a refergium so I made a baffle to raise the water level in the algea portion. It works perfectly except I still have the bubbles. So now I'm gonna fab some baffels that will drop into the bio ball chamber. There are so many little details to cover on these things. On a positive note I got my auto top off connected today. No more hauling buckets of water from the basement.:D I just hope it don't freeze up in the winter time(that test is in progress).

Jerry

I tried added baffles to the sump, but didn't do as good a job as the filter sock for removing bubbles, because I have a smaller sump (sump envy):(
and with less contact time, the smaller bubbles would still return to the main.

I agree, that using them will remove some beneficial organisms, and you have to clean them often, but if you fold them inside out and dip them briefly in the tank, you can free many of the these organisms back into your tank.

Back