soft corals and hard corals together

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ollie51

Does anyone know anything about housing hard and soft corals toghther in the same tank? I have a finger leather coral in with some of my stony corals. I have noticed some bleaching and was wondering if this may be the cause. I have read in some books that some soft corals (especially leathers) may be toxic to hard corals. Anyone have any thoughts on this topic?

I have a combination of hard and soft corals. Does the finger leather touch any of the hard corals? I have to trim the softies to keep them from physically encroaching on the SPS. I also run a lot of carbon since softies put a lot of chemicals in the water. If you don't run carbon, you might try it to see if that helps.

I like having both, but the people who are really into SPS seem to end up removing all of the softies from their tanks.

Try Borneman's book on coral, he lists the specifics. Like sarcophyton with elegance would be a no-no. I tried the random mix approach despite being told over and over not too... and also tossed in some gorgonians. Don't know which was to blame but a lot of stuff died. My crocea wouldn't even open in that tank. I did a lot of other "stuff" wrong too as I give better advice than I practice :)

Generally the sarcophytons got a bad rap, as well as all pacific gorgonians and all non photosynthetic atlantic gorgonians. If they die do frag down and discard that which is dying because all gorgonians are toxic. And some sponges, don't let them die in the tank and the red or orange ones are usually suspect.

I have noticed that the best looking SPS tanks are species limited-all acro or the like. Borneman's book rocks in other ways so I think in general it's very good to have on hand.
Kate

generally speaking... soft corals and many polyps (corallimorpharians in particular) are very noxious compared to most stony corals. Long term (1-3) years) you can expect some problems IMO. But short term few folks notice much conflict.

Lighter bioloads, heavier water change schedules and the use of ozone will relive some of the pressure.

It is a bad habit however to mix unnaturally dense or blended populations of hard and soft. you will fare much better long term to focus on one group with only a minor representation of the other. A biotope display would be even better.

kindly, Anth- :)

Anthony Calfo said:
generally speaking... soft corals and many polyps (corallimorpharians in particular) are very noxious compared to most stony corals. Long term (1-3) years) you can expect some problems IMO. But short term few folks notice much conflict.

Lighter bioloads, heavier water change schedules and the use of ozone will relive some of the pressure.

It is a bad habit however to mix unnaturally dense or blended populations of hard and soft. you will fare much better long term to focus on one group with only a minor representation of the other. A biotope display would be even better.

kindly, Anth- :)

Ozone? Really? I had never heard that before. Can you give anymore on that?

Back