Soft corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

you can feed soft corals planktonic foods. it is not nessesary for their survival, but it helps in the growth

I have not added anything to my soft coral tank in many years. Regular water changes and good light is plenty.

This depends a lot on what kind of soft corals you are trying to have. If you have gonipora / sun coral / daisy / Christmas tree / feather duster, etc, you do need to feed them. If all you have is frogspawm, hammer, rics etc, then it is not necessary.

Do pay close attention to your water quality after the feeding. SPS is very demanding when it comes to nitrate level. You don't want to loss your SPS b/c of feeding too much to your LPS

I used to do spot feeding but that becomes diff b/c the minute the coral sense chg in current, all the polys retract. Nowdays I flooded the tank with spectral vital, coral frenzy for 2 hrs every other day, then run the skimmer to take out the rest of the food. That seems to work pretty well for me.

i never feed any soft coral just my lps, lately i've been feeding coral frenzy and i do see a little bit of reaction from my mushrooms so they must be getting something.

frogspawm, hammer,

those are lps dood, i believe sun coral is an lps too but not sure dood but it shoudl be fed every day or every other day.

Back