Softie Lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

greenmonkey51

Ok, my 125g butterfly tank has been a disaster. I want something different. I'm going back to corals. I'm going with T-5's most likely. It will probably be the SLS retrofit with icecap reflectors, as this seems to be the best combo. I'm wondering how many bulbs to a bank I should do. Is 3x39w enough for a 3' bank. I also saw an idea of using a 5' lights on a 6' tank. I know this would be more economical, but I don't know how well it would work. I'm avoiding SPS, and I'm going for some nice softies with zoas interspersed.

on my 6 foot long 135, I run the www.ahsupply.com PC lighting. 4 x 96 watt 3 foot long PC bulb's with electronic ballasts. great setup for softies. Set the bulbs up 2 wide and 2 deep.

I'd really rather use T-5's because of energy usage and less bulb to replace.

I am currently running (6) 4' VHO's on my 120 and and (2) 55w PC's.. the VHO's are staggared so the reach from end to end of my 6 foot tank. I have been running them for almost 5 years (replaced every 9-12 month). My corals are only softies, and have grown extrememly well under these. Best of luck with your softie tank.

Back