Solana or JBJ Bio cube???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dalbery

Saltwater Nut
Okay I'm looking to buy a nano. I'm looking at the JBJ and the Solana's. Is there any significant differences in them (other than looks) that would make me buy one over the other. Does one filter better or have better access for a fuge or skimmer? Any advice would be appreciated.
TIA,
Darrell

The solana comes with a skimmer! I have had one up and running about a year now. Great little tank. I keep thinking of buying a new skimmer, but the stock one isn't too bad. All I have done is add a hang on media reactor for carbon and GFO and added a tunze 6025 (modded).
-chris

i have the solana as well (little over a month), when i compared to the JBJ, the current was a class above it. I have it with the espresso stand and matching wood trim top in my living room, it looks a lot more modern than the black plastic on the JBJ (IMHO). the solana is 34G which gives a little more room.

Okay I'm looking to buy a nano. I'm looking at the JBJ and the Solana's. Is there any significant differences in them (other than looks) that would make me buy one over the other. Does one filter better or have better access for a fuge or skimmer? Any advice would be appreciated.
TIA,
Darrell

I have the nanocube 28g CF-quad. I upgraded from a 12g nano and am mostly impressed. I like how tidy things are, the fact that it comes with a wavemaker, and plenty of light. I thought about mh, but heard that it really decimates the water levels.

I do think they need to upgrade the pumps... not enough current. There's enough space for a skimmer and placement for a heater and possibility for an 'in tank' fuge in the back.

It fits my needs, which is a relatively low maintenance, solid tank.

I found mine pretty cheap from foster and smith online.

Update: I bought a Solana 34g. I will be bringing it home and setting it up on Monday. I found a nice used one that already has the upgraded pump, a Tunze skimmer, and a 250watt MH pendant. I was very impressed at how quiet these tanks are. I can't wait to get it home. My daughter doesn't know I bought one so she'll be way happy. Thanks for the advice.
Darrell

looks like you got quite the set up. let us know how the Tunze works out.

Update: I bought a Solana 34g. I will be bringing it home and setting it up on Monday. I found a nice used one that already has the upgraded pump, a Tunze skimmer, and a 250watt MH pendant. I was very impressed at how quiet these tanks are. I can't wait to get it home. My daughter doesn't know I bought one so she'll be way happy. Thanks for the advice.
Darrell

Back