Some DIY to my 24gal Aquapod

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I wanted to set my Current USA 24gal Aquapod apart from the rest a bit and also do something to suit my needs a bit better so I'm doing a little bit of DIY to it which hopefully will all be finished by the end of the weekend. Here's the plan already in motion...

First off, the first pic shows the tank as is right out of the box when I first got it. :)

The first part of the project will be to cut out the the box you see outlined in red removing basically the whole black backround only leaving a small border around the sides and the bottom to glue a new back onto which you won't see either the black or the blue sticking out from the sides:).

Ever since having my 75gal, I loved the way blue acrylic looked with the shimmer from the metal halides against it and so I'm going back to the blue after giving the black backround a try twice since (Martin's tank convinced me to go back:D ) However, this time, instead of the back having the odd shape the aquapod comes with limiting space in the back compartment, the backwall will be flat with the overflow cut into the center section to basically drain right onto the pump for my skimmer as well as where my media bag for the carbon will sit. This should also increase surface skimming. I also have some bulkheads and lockine coming in this week (already shipped out from Friday of last week) along with a 150w MH fixture to replace the 70w one I have now so I can put my corals back in. The plan is to put all 3 maxijet 1200's I have now in the back compartment out of view and pump them through the lockline. I will see what that does for flow first before I try anything else and if it is not enough flow (which I'm sure it will be :rolleyes: :p ) I may do an "over the tank" closed loop (hidden of course) to feed a Wavy Sea, but like I said...We'll see first. I don't want to jump the gun.:)

Here's a sketch of the piece being made for me. It's the acrylic back (in blue) with the "teeth" in the center for the overflow which will all be cut by laser so that it will be neat and accurate. The black circles are where I'm thinking of putting the bulkheads, but I'll decide when I have everything infront of me.

That's it for now...I will post pics as I go. Wish me luck!:)

Last edited:
sounds like a good plan krish.. wish you lived near me to sell me some of your tanks :) good luck on the new project.. you going to get a lion fish in there :) and a few corals...

Man, Krish... Don’t you ever sit still? j/k :lol:
Sound’s like some great idea’s
So... Good luck! :D

Man, Krish... Don’t you ever sit still? j/k

yes....when he's gotta go to the bathroom :lol:..........just joking :D.
that sounds like a nice little project dood ....can't wait to see the finished project.

Well you can always scrap it & just make another one:D
LOL sounds like a cool little project, hope it turns out well!

sounds like a good plan krish.. wish you lived near me to sell me some of your tanks good luck on the new project.. you going to get a lion fish in there and a few corals...

LOL! Thanks and No lion fish:p My fish are now all dime sized and that's the size I will keep. They poop about the size of black pepper which helps keep the tank clean so they grow too big and back they go;)

looks interesting....

Thanks Matt...I'll be the guinea pig on this one:)

Man, Krish... Don’t you ever sit still? j/k
Sound’s like some great idea’s
So... Good luck!

LOL! Thanks Rob and nope...Can't keep still.:D I contemplated a new tank to do basically what I'm doing now, but instead, do a closed loop with an external pump rather than using maxi jets, but decided to see how this would come out. If I screw it up, then I'll have to have a new one built.:)

yes....when he's gotta go to the bathroom ..........just joking .
that sounds like a nice little project dood ....can't wait to see the finished project.

Gabby...I tell you. You and the bathroom.:p

Well you can always scrap it & just make another one
LOL sounds like a cool little project, hope it turns out well!

LOL! Thanks Scooty...If I screw it, it will come to that. :p

K...Just pulled down the tank and here's everyones new home for the week! A nice rubbermaid container with skimmer, phosban reactor, MH's, mj 1200 and a Tunze nano stream. All I have is a few hardy damsels and a small colony of zoo's so no biggie. The corals have been out for a while due to limited lighting, but new lights are on the way. As for the aquapod, I hope to cut out that piece tomorrow.

Last edited:
did you check the number on the rubbermaid container dood?
did you cure it?

Gabby...I tell you. You and the bathroom.

i was gonna say ..........i like my bathroom but at this moment the bathroom and i have a lot of issues with each other right now :p.

did you check the number on the rubbermaid container dood?
did you cure it?

Yeah...#4 :lol: J/K There's no number on it and it has no scent so I just cleaned it out good and used it. It's brand new and used it to swap stands the other day:)

i was gonna say ..........i like my bathroom but at this moment the bathroom and i have a lot of issues with each other right now .

What a pile of crap!:p

I think it will work out nicely Krish, sometimes I wish I had a smaller tank, It would have corals in it by now!:rolleyes:

I think it will work out nicely Krish, sometimes I wish I had a smaller tank, It would have corals in it by now!

Well, when you get yours finished, it will be much better;)

Just a small update, I just cut out the back! Came out nicely. I tried and air saw first, but it was too long to fit in the tank, then I tried a rotozip, but the thing is too wild so I just used an air cut off wheel and that worked nicely.:) I'm thinking on putting down a bottom like I had in my 75gal so we shall see. I'll post pics tonight:)

Last edited:
Yup!!:D I ordered a piece of the white pvc board this morning and will cut it to fit the shape of the tank. I just have to make sure it doesn't come higher than the tank frame because if it does, no sense using it because it will look tacky. I'll post pics tonight:)

Here are a few new pics...Sorry for the quality. I was in a major rush, but the next set will be better:)

This one is of the back cut out and as you can see, I left a border to glue the new back to.

I bought some white pvc board like I had in my 75gal and shaped it out to the shape of the tank and will be my new bare bottom.

that is looking good Krish, I think it will work out nice, if not send it to me, I'll put in inside my tank:D

Back