some pics of my dwarf seahorses tanks!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chelseagrin

i have had this tank for some time and it has 4 adult horses and about 12-15 babies. its about 4-5 gallons and i am planning on spreading them about between the other tank pictured when it cycles.

the main dwarf tank with par38 light.

243-1.jpg

one of the horses!

242-1.jpg

the seahorse setup thats cycling.

244.jpg

htat would be brine shrimp, the babies are very small but not quite that tiny haha. sorry the seahorse tank is a bit dirty i have been neglecting it the past few days. lol

You know Krish your eyesight is the first thing to go.

chels. Neat little tanks. Are they hard to keep stable? What type of filtration is used. Why is one of them covered and the other not covered?

i just do water changes and keep the water flowing with a small air pump. its almost impossible to filter because even if i put screan over the intake the babies still get sucked in and the adults attach to it like a magnet. the one tank came with a top, so i used it. the other tank doesnt so i guess i just used what i had.

Nice little tanks you've got started. I hope that you're not using the Wardley's tropical fish flake food for the horses. And I'd advise on getting some good filtration once the babies are bigger. Heck even a sponge filter is better than no filter with a seahorse tank.

Cheers,
Alex

IMO, mechanical filters are not needed in a dwarf seahorse tank and I have none in my three dwarf tanks myself. (I use live rock for biological filtration only)
Because dwarfs only eat live food, primarily enriched (Dan's Feed) baby brine is the most convenient, and the fact most of them don't "hunt" food like their larger cousins, food density at time of feeding has to be intense or they slowly starve to death.
After feeding, you remove the excess so that they won't be feeding on less nutritious live food at next feeding or in between feedings.
If you put a strong light next to a convenient spot on the tank the excess artemia will congregate there so you can vacuum them out, adding new salt water to replace what has come out.
That, and in addition to the "wiping down" of interior surfaces and water change to remove residue about once a week (frequency depends on stocking density of dwarfs) will change enough water to not need filtration.
Using a sponge filter can sometimes trap the smaller dwarfs (and sometimes larger ones) ending up with mortalities if not caught in time, unless the air flow for the sponge is quite low.
Low air flow means less turbulence at the waters surface so my preference is to not use the filter but instead use rigid open ended air line to get the surface motion needed.

yes i see no need for a filter, the tank has had perfect params for about 4 months and this is how ive run every one of the 6 or so dwarf tanks i have had. water changes imo are the best form of filtration. filters just make it so we can wait longer between each change. i usually keep the tank really clean but the light is fairly yellow so algae grows like crazy.

Yes, sweet lil Pony tank Chelsea. Since you have a decent amount of light on it have you considered puting in some live Gorgonia of some type. If your anywhere near my area I'd be happy to give you some Puple Bush Gorgonian to try it out. Many years ago I kept a small 15g with the Pygmy Seahorses Hippocampus bargibanti red/orange varient along with thier matching gorgonia. It was a fun little tank while I had it running.

Cheers, Todd

i did have a small frag of kenya tree in there for a while, but id ecided to move it back. i have never had a gorg before do they require any special care? i was also under the impression they were not entirely photosynthetic?

Hey Chelsea, many of the Gorgonians are photosynthetic and will do well without spot-feeding like the Purple Bush Muriceopsis flavida I have had for several years. They do perk up when stirring up the sand bed though. Here is a link from Live Aquaria Purple Brush Gorgonian
but I'm sure that one of sponsors like Reefs2go would also have them. Since you are feeding baby brineshrimp you would also do very well with a non-photo variety like Reefs2go.com Live Saltwater Yellow Gorgonian

Another option for you could be Halimeda, or one of many macro algaes that look nice and would provide some anchoring places for the Seahorsesa.
link to Reefs2go Reefs2go.com Live Saltwater Halimedia - Buy 1 Get 1 FREE

Cheers, Todd

Back