Some SPS macro pics

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Seaguy

Algae scraper
After a little about a year with my current tank, my SPS are looking pretty good. I lost a couple this summer with STN from the bottom up, caused by either an Alk swing or higher temps or a combination. I have an efflo that won't color up but I just upgraded my lighting so hoping to get some better color on that one. And I have a few that are growing very slowly (Phils granulosa, appleberry, tricolor nana).

In the meantime, here are some of my better macro pics:

My favorite, Garf Bonsai (original frag from Brandy).
Garf9-22-09.jpg

Flower Petal Monti
FlowerPetalMonti.jpg

Montipora Setosa
Setosa.jpg

Idaho Grape
IdahoGrape-1.jpg

Pink Birdsnest
PinkBird.jpg

Tyree Undata
TyreeMontiUndata.jpg

Stupid computer at work wont bring up the pictures. I guess I just have to wait until I get home to see them.

Thanks for the comments.

Cali reef, I'm close. I am out of town but when I get back I'll frag and mount them and make sure they are healthy. I had a frag of the flower petal monti that was encrusting nicely, then it died. Not sure what happened.

-Greg

Beautiful Garf Bonsai! That's on my short list for the next frag I want to acquire - great pics!

very pretty pictures. I really like the garf bonzai. I just picked up a frag the other day. I hope that it will look as nice as yours

Great pics of the coral. What kind of camera did use to get such great pics?

Thanks guys.

I used a Canon 5D but the lens is most important. It is a Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens. It is pretty easy to take good macro pics, you just have to know a few basics.

1) Minimize camera shake: Use a tripod and if you want to get the very best, use mirror lockup.
2) Take the picture straight through the glass/acrylic. (any angle through the aquarium glass distorts the focus).
3) Turn off your pumps for a few mins to reduce particulates in the water and reduce polyp motion.

-Greg

Back