Something Different.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SRV

Say What!!!!!!!
Was outside on this sunny day, sipping an adult beverage and reflecting. I can't tell how many times I've been asked "Is this saltwater?" What do you think? Just thought I would post something different.

PondPics5-24-09004.jpg

PondPics5-24-09019.jpg

PondPics5-24-09022.jpg

PondPics5-24-09011.jpg

Very nice Rick! One day I'll get around to doing a Koi pond. How large is it?

Very Nice Rick!! By the way is that a saltwater pond:D?

Anyways I am planning to build a 1500-2000g Koi pond in my back yard as well after I am done with my 270g Reef tank. It will be in a shape of an L kinda it will be anywhere from 2'-4' deep in certain area. Any tips you have on building a Koi pond?

My dog and cat would have a hay day with that

Fond memories..... of when my (now ex) curious white poodle saw the floating plants in this pond and thought they were solid enough to walk upon.... SPLASH!!!!

My wife (now ex) was mortified.

Did the tree fern make it through the winter? Saw some nice ones at a commercial nursery last week & talked about yours.
D

Awesome Koi Pond! My dog and cat would have a hay day with that.

Thanks! It is a nice place to sit in the evening.

Anyways I am planning to build a 1500-2000g Koi pond in my back yard as well after I am done with my 270g Reef tank. It will be in a shape of an L kinda it will be anywhere from 2'-4' deep in certain area. Any tips you have on building a Koi pond?

Roscoe,
Two tips: 1) The deeper the better. Koi gain heavier body weight the deeper the pond. 2) No slope to the edges of the pond. Herron and Raccoons are a ponds worst enemy. They both wade/stand in the water to fish. Virtical sides will stop the Raccoons pretty easily but I've seen Herron stand in 3' of water to fish. My pond is in a confined space with an iron fence and gate, so the Herron can't get to it. Good luck.

Fond memories..... of when my (now ex) curious white poodle saw the floating plants in this pond and thought they were solid enough to walk upon.... SPLASH!!!!

My wife (now ex) was mortified.

I remember. I tried not to laugh but......I did get caught. She was not pleased.:rolleyes: Oh well.

Did the tree fern make it through the winter? Saw some nice ones at a commercial nursery last week & talked about yours.
D

Actually, I lost that fern about 3 years ago when we had some wet weather and then a freeze. I am looking to replace it, just haven't gotten around to it.

As soon as we buy a house I want to do that as well. A nice Koi pond and toss my reef tank in the wall somewhere.

Your pond looks really nice. Great looking Koi too.

Raccoons were a nightmare, and I'd never knew about the vertical sides as a cure. Thanks for the great tip and wonderful pictures!!

I built a 7500 gal. pond for my sister in Snohomish. No problems with the Raccoons but the Herron gets about 3/4's of her fish every year.:( She got up one morning and there were 3 of them in her pond. And I thought they were solitary preditors.:confused:

As soon as we buy a house I want to do that as well. A nice Koi pond and toss my reef tank in the wall somewhere.

Your pond looks really nice. Great looking Koi too.

Another idea for you guys.:idea: I put the filter system for the pond in the garage. During this last winter my pond only dropped down to 42 degrees. My pond is enclosed on 3 sides with my house, so I don't have too much of a wind chill factor to deal with but it is something to consider. Sure makes cleaning the filter in the winter a whole lot easier.:D

I figured you could decipher my gibberish by now:

Tasmanian tree fern available at a (relatively local) wholesale nursery at which I can purchase, 5 gallon pot size, $47.95. Project #113 on your list. :)

someone over here runs water into their pond durring the winter and summer to get the temp stable... they have a HUGE pond (6' or 8' feet in one part) She said it was cheaper to "heat" the pond with tap water than with electricity...
Stephen

Back