Something eating my Goby/Mandarins?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Apple5150

I have had 2 mandarins just up and dissapear on me now, and also a goby. My mandarins were completely healthy and eating great, always out, so I would not think they were ill or not eating, as they were plump as can be. I was starting to think it was my Brittle Star, as that is the only thing I could possibly think of in the tank. I was then starting to think it was a mantis shrimp, however after doing some searching on there, it stated they make noise, and also they eat other shrimps. I have a cleaner and 2 peppermint shrimp, that nothing has happened to. I do not have any idea what is going after my fish, but it is not going after my Copper Band, Maroon Clown, Coral Beauty, Green Chromis or Blue Tang. It seems to only be after my small bottom dwelling creatures. Anyone have any ideas or ways to check and see if I have a problem?? Thanks!!

Paris

What kind of brittle star do you have? Is it a green brittle star?

NO, I have a common brittle star, I cannot think of the same right now, but its the black and white striped one. I know it, just cannot think of it, and have checked all of my reference books and it is quoted to be reef safe.

Paris

Did you say striped? If it looks like the star in the image below, then that's what's doing it. Mine ate ALL of my bottom gobies. (I have to get him out so that I can stock with gobies and such!) Good luck!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/detailed_image.cfm?pCatId=735

OH, and I saw him try to eat a sand star, they are reef safe, but not bottom fish safe. They "tent" in crevases and wait for the fish to go to sleep and then munch munch munch.

That is him!!!! Darnit, I was told he was safe! U:UURRGGHHHH, that makes me mad. Oh well, off to the store he goes then. All he does is sit under a rock anyway. You never see him except a leg every now and then.

From my personal experience, I was spot feeling krill every other day and he also ate pellets to no avail. I could have not been feeding enough.

Back