Something to think about

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
We all collect alot of different bottles of this and that the longer we are in this hobby.
Alot of different chemicals.
But most if not all say on them " Aquarium Use Only" and "Keep Away from Children".

This isn't one of those bad stories, but it could have been.

A couple hours ago I was pulling stuff off a shelf that had fish stuff on it and a bottle of Formalin fell off and the plastic cap broke, spilling about a cup of it on the floor and wall.
Didn't think too much about it other than it's a nice laminate floor. I got down on my hands and knees with a towel to wipe it up and all of a sudden my nose, eyes and face was burning. Like pretty bad.
Then I remembered Formalin = formaldehyde. Nasty stuff. I actually thought I was in trouble for a minute.
trouble breathing, burning nose and eyes. I didn't get any of the liquid on me, it was just the fumes. But it burned like acid
Did a quick walk into the shower, luke warm water in the face for a couple minutes then outside with the phone, thinking about calling 911. It was scary for a few minutes.
Once I got outside the symptoms went away within a few minutes. But I had to go back and finish cleaning it up. Open all the windows and doors, run a couple fans.
Guess I won't be putting that bottle back up there.

I am soo glad I was home alone.
Glad the wife was gone, and no kids or grandkids were here.
I made a mistake that could have affected someone I love.

So when you buy the bottle or container of whatever, just remember, what is really in the product.

This one would be a good one for the tips section Martin.. I just did the same thing with a jug of muratic acid... at least I wont have to blow my nose for a few weeks!!!

Mojo

Holy cow Martin. Great story to remind us of just how dangerous some of this stuff can be to ourselves and others in the house. Now I am going to go check the racks on the inside of the the doors on the stand that can easily be accessed by our 2yo sons hands or the 1yo niece. I think all chemicals in there will go up and away in the garage. Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope all is better for you now.

I'm fine. Got a headache, but the first thing I thought of after it was over, "Thank God no one small was around".

guess I should get rid of the bag of lye from the aptasia experiment then? don't bother with the lottery tickets this week mfinn you used it up for now lol

Good advice. I guess I am kind of a you know what when it comes to all my chemicals in the house. I learned at the Tech college all about MSDS and how to find them. Good things to have for any chemical kept in the house or garage. And every place that sells a chemical has to be able to provide the customer with a copy there of upon request. Of course this information is also readily available from the manufacture.

Cheers,
Alex

Back