Sony handycam TRV-17

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NC2WA

Don't know if anyone can help me.

question on an older camcorder.

I am able to successfully record images to the memory stick and then download images from the memory stick to my hard disk as a .mpeg file.

however, when the mpeg file is played in windows media player, the image is not clear (looks very boxy).

any idea why?

the only thing I can find in the manual is that the cassette head needs to be cleaned..I wouldn't think this would apply to the memory stick as I am not recording from tape to memory stick.

Kirk

usually the "boxes" you see in a video are actually your pixels...

say your camera records at a resolution of 480x360, if you put it on a screen any larger than your cellphone, you will see the boxes as the pixels are just stretched out and obviously larger.

The old CRT/Tube type TVs that your camcorder was designed for display at a resolution of 480p - any new TV (and your computer monitor) is likely displaying at 720p or better (1080, etc) :)

reviews for your camera just say "the video is crap" - haha - I can't find anything in the user manual that allows you to set the video quality, so my best suggestion is to be sure you record in SP instead of LP mode, and keep your video display small when you watching it so you don't see the boxes :)

video is set to 160x120 instead of the default 320x240 and record mode is set to SP instead of LP.

this look right to you?

160x120 is way too low resolution... record at highest res possible. SP is better than LP... if I recall right, that is tape record speed. Record to your mini DV tape, not direct to the memory card to get best resolution.

Last edited:
Mark,

This did the trick. change to 320x 240. Albeit it is not the best format, nor HD quality format, I just want something that is viewable to my fellow reefers.

I plan on recording the fish I got for Xmas in my tank and then posting.

thanks
Kirk

Glad you got it fixed. I have an older Sony kinda like yours. It takes great video. Unlike the prior feedback, keep in mind your camera scored mostly 5 stars on Amazon.

Any way, as with my cam-corder. I was informed it will take pictures too, but thats NOT want its made for. And, image quality to the memory stick will not be the best.

So, I must ask why you're not using the mini-DV tape to record as it should be?

Last edited:
reviews for your camera just say "the video is crap" - haha - I can't find anything in the user manual that allows you to set the video quality, so my best suggestion is to be sure you record in SP instead of LP mode, and keep your video display small when you watching it so you don't see the boxes :)

I would disagree with this. You can, and if it like Sony of this time, it will shoot in 16/9 too.

I am aware that I can use (and have used) the mini-dv tape to record..I was trying to tshoot the problem.

Now that I have a solution, I am copy video from mini-dv tape to memory stick so I can create mpeg files.

I hope to have some footage of my tank available tomorrow

thanks
kirk

I think you can transfer your dv tape directly to your PC. You should have some software that will allow you to edit it a bit and also create mpeg. The camcorder is just fine... actually very good for its time. Now there are hi def camcorders with built in hard drives that do much better and best of all simplify things but if you are patient you should get some good results.

Mark,

I'm actually using Windows Movie Maker to create a movie file and then post to YouTube.

Yes, my Sony mini DV plugs right into my Macbook Pro. Into iMovie, and uploaded to YouTube right from iMovie. Nice, simple, done...

Back