sound off on the best way to run calcium additions on a simple system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

I have my little tank slated for a "removal to a good home" (my new system is planned to be about 70 gallons and 90 gallons total volume with the sump). I want to have more of the stony corals and some softies. I have been fighting myself in keeping the calcium and alkalinity stable and would really like to know some opinions on what is the best or most simple-est way to run my calc/kalk/make up water to achieve the perfect system.

Right now I have an ultra-life float switch that controls freshwater coming from a 15 gallon container (via an airline to an aqualifter pump) to my kalk reactor which then drips into my sump near the G2 Sedra pump.

What I would like to do is re plumb and re-simplify things to be reliable and stable. Maybe a calc reactor is a good idea, but I am not sure how to plumb it in.

My thought is to remove the freshwater reservoir and run my R/O unit direct to a solenoid signaled via a tunze Osmolator level system, then to the kalk (or calcium reactor) and then to the sump. I have a reefkeeper II and the Tunze Osmolator

My questions are...

Do I run the PH Probe to control the reactor CO2?

How do I run the PH probe (some say in the reactor i.e. GEO, and some say in the sump or tank, or on the drain line with a compression fitting?)

Should I run a calc reactor as a stand alone plumbing circuit or should I tie it in-line with my makeup water?

If I run it as it's own circuit, how should that work? With a powerhead?

Should I run both a kalk reactor and a calcium reactor?

Can I run a phosphate reactor in line with my Kalk or Calcium reactors?

what is a good solonoid to control my R/O for make up water additions? One that won't fail and over fill the sump.

Is there a way to plumb my R/O system to do two things...1) feed the make up water and 2) fill my 15 gallon salt water mixing vessel when I open a valve or push a button and then shut off

First you need to understand the difference between a calcium reactor and a kalkwasser reactor/stirrer. A calcium reactor is fed saltwater from the system and has nothing to do with top off. Of course as you know the kalk reactor is fed rodi water. The tunze is going to be the most dependable of all your ato options. Just keep in mind that its output is only 9v and solenoids are either 12vdc 24vac or 120vac.

Don

Thanks Don,
For some reason I thought people were using calcium reactors in line with their auto top-off systems. But you say it is fed Salt water and then effluent is returned back to the sump. How do you recommend running it? what pump.., Do I need to control it by controlling water flow or CO2 supply? I am considering getting the smallest GEO reactor or similar.

That's a tough one on the right solonoid. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the best way to make a reliable auto top-off system. (low water detect, high water safeguard) Maybe there is a better float switch/auto top-off system that would work with R/O (like spectraline??). I guess I could sell my tunze, it is un-used and in the box.

yes reeferdude, probably a good simple way. I want to understand the best way to automate, but ultimately if it can't be bulletproof then I may just rely on the "hand-draulic doser" (me)

maybe after all of this, I find the best way for me is a very high quality peristalic dosing pump and additives for alk and calc.

Last edited:
You ont find a more reliable way to feed a ca reactor than a peristaltic pump. Honestly it sound like you need to do some reading up on how they work to see if its right for you.
You wont find another ato as reliabe the tunze due to the optical sensor. Besides tunze and myself I dont think there is one made that uses an optical.
Tunze makes a 120v adapter that you can plug a 12vdc wallwart into to control your solenoid valve.

Don

Hello Bob...

First off is to test calcium reading in your main tank... Most of the time, kalk reactor can make up all the calcium needs your tank needs... specially if its not heavily loaded with sps.

I suggest that you do kalk reactor then read your parameters. And if for some reason you cannot cope up with the calcium demands of you inhabitants then thats the time to go with calcium reactor.

Also, I heard some people replaced their calcium reactor with two part additive that you can drip individually. They said its less expensive and less hassle to maintain. Thats what I have read and not my personal experience. But I must say that I have used both, and i am leaning on using 2 part.

Maybe something to consider?

I like the idea of the 120v adapter and the peristaltic pump for the solenoid and the reactor...thanks Don (I figured you would have some great feedback)

Cesar, Mike...thanks for the input too

The "best" way just might be the most "simple" way. Add Calcium Chloride as needed.

Calcium chloride is not a good, "regular" addition unless you are doing frequent/large enough water changes to prevent the build-up of chloride from messing up your salt chemistry.

Calcium chloride is not a good, "regular" addition unless you are doing frequent/large enough water changes to prevent the build-up of chloride from messing up your salt chemistry.

I think if you did so little of water changes for the daily use of ca chloride to build up, you would have alot bigger problems than chloride.:)

Don

Back