Soyadrink's (Nelson) 50g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

3/8 is plenty big for putting rocks together in that size system. You know that we could easily convert that to a sump system without using a siphon.

Its the smallest size they have. Its not so much for putting rocks together but to hold them up above the sand so there is nothing rotting underneath.

You mean just drill a hole in the back?

built in wave box. gives great flow and nearly zero visual pollution.
I am curious how that would be built into the back area. That sounds like a trick build to me. Every other wave box usually is mounted above the tank. But I don't like big wooden hoods. I like the sllek designs of the lights they have out these days. That doesn't leave much room for a big wave box on top. Are there any DIY threads you know of? Or just a photo of one you've done like that, so I can reverse engineer?

Thanx,
Peter

I am curious how that would be built into the back area. That sounds like a trick build to me. Every other wave box usually is mounted above the tank. But I don't like big wooden hoods. I like the sllek designs of the lights they have out these days. That doesn't leave much room for a big wave box on top. Are there any DIY threads you know of? Or just a photo of one you've done like that, so I can reverse engineer?

Thanx,
Peter

I don't think its been done and recorded. Jonathan came up with it the first time he saw the tank. Also I dont think that the box should be above the tank

Thanks for the ideas. That does seem like a good way to add some flow. Do you think you might do that in your tank, nelson? I found another link that shows operation and how the flow effects corals and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwIF1Mi-KyA

So in nelson's setup you could just divide that back divider and make a wavebox, and still use the other part for an overflow? That would look pretty sweet cuz it would reduce the need to have visible powerheads and stuff in the display tank.

One last question. The wavebox is controlled by a timer the turns the pump on and off. Of all the videos I've seen the waves look pretty intense. Is it possible to set a timer that would be like a slow gentle wave? Would it work still?

Peter

Peter,

You can set it to whatever speed max/min, and frequency. If I were building the one for Nelson, I would build it as a double duty install. At low speeds it would act as a closed loop, getting water from the current overflow comb and pushing it out the bottom. At high speed/low intervals it would create very efficient pulsing flow. This way you could have a gentle night mode, feeding mode, and wave mode. Nelson's tank is very stout, well built, and I believe capable of handling this flow, but many tanks are not. You have to be very careful about using this method in a tank that is not over-built.

There are multiple ways of controlling a wavebox pump from using knock-off type wave controllers, the Tunze controller, or even the Neptune AquaSurf, which is a wicked superset of control. These all ratchet up the cost though. I have a pretty clear vision for how to build Nelson's wave box, but again, adding a sump, and his particular install needing to be quiet complicate the proces. Waveboxes tend to be a bit noisy, so I can understand his hesitation.

We originally drilled a hole in the lower part of the overflow to act as a closed loop with a press-fit MJ mod, but what he found later is that the mod was pushing so much water, he couldn't keep his sand bed in one place. This would again be an issue if he decided to go ahead with the wave box.

Just some thoughts to share.

Peter,

You can set it to whatever speed max/min, and frequency. If I were building the one for Nelson, I would build it as a double duty install. At low speeds it would act as a closed loop, getting water from the current overflow comb and pushing it out the bottom. At high speed/low intervals it would create very efficient pulsing flow. This way you could have a gentle night mode, feeding mode, and wave mode. Nelson's tank is very stout, well built, and I believe capable of handling this flow, but many tanks are not. You have to be very careful about using this method in a tank that is not over-built.

There are multiple ways of controlling a wavebox pump from using knock-off type wave controllers, the Tunze controller, or even the Neptune AquaSurf, which is a wicked superset of control. These all ratchet up the cost though. I have a pretty clear vision for how to build Nelson's wave box, but again, adding a sump, and his particular install needing to be quiet complicate the proces. Waveboxes tend to be a bit noisy, so I can understand his hesitation.

We originally drilled a hole in the lower part of the overflow to act as a closed loop with a press-fit MJ mod, but what he found later is that the mod was pushing so much water, he couldn't keep his sand bed in one place. This would again be an issue if he decided to go ahead with the wave box.

Just some thoughts to share.

Do you think a 65 gallon reef ready would be built strong enough to handle this kind of flow? I am already picturing puting a baffle between one side of the overflow and the side wall. since the overflow is offset it would make a space about 4 1/2" x 3 and 23 inches tall. It would also eliminate that back little corner which might be hard to get flow to and turn it into a wavebox. My only worry with a strong wave is the waves overtoppong the tank.

Peter

Your worry should be with how the tank is constructed. I would suggest contacting Roger @ Tunze USA for his opinion on your tank. I believe his rule of thumb is that a tank should be made of 1/4" thicker material than what would ordinarily be specified or standard.

So I've been looking at a few controllers. Here's what I found interesting
Tunze:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=TZ2131

Red Sea:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~RS3611.html

And this would make a perfect x-mas present(but worth it??);
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...iew~idProduct~DA1111~idCategory~FITEMOMI.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...ction=view&idProduct=NS8111&idCategory=FIPHAC

Any comments?

Also, what pumps could I use with any of these?

Last edited:
if you are just going for flow, I would use the Tunze controllable nano and matching controler. If you want to get into a full-blown controller, there are a lot of options.

Check out www.aquariumcontrollers.com Lots of good info. on there.

One tunze controllable nano plus the controller is like 400 bucks. I was thinking for a wavebox. Maybe I chose wrong models for this. sorryyy
I'll check out the site right now!

Other news!
I got the octo 200 today.

Also have to confess of buying a fish... guess what it is!

McCosker's Wrasse. Sooooo Beautiful.

Actually no. I had to go with one of the BEAUTIFUL and very healthy looking sunburst anthias. He acclimated well(for 2hrs+) and I just put him in the tank after I shut the lights off. found hiding spot but seems to be holding up well there.

I also gotta add he ate frozen before I bought him so thats a good thing

Fun tank thread :)

How do you like your coast to coast overflow? How loud is it? How much flow are you pushing into it from the sump?

I also gotta add he ate frozen before I bought him so thats a good thing
Hehe sounds like you bought a frozen fish

Its not really an overflow yet. it's basically just a barrier between the display area of the tank and the back where I have another powerhead and skimmer and heater. I'm only adding a sump soon so I can't tell if it's gonna be very loud or not.

Back