space limitations

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dieden

Exocoetidae
I would like to place my skimmer in a small area of my pump so I can free up the main chamber for LR and LS etc... The space I have is just over 6"X8". Would a coralife needlewheel125 fit there? all I can find on deminsions is that its widest point is just over 7", is the other deminsion within 6" or will this skimmer be to big for the slot I want it in?

I would like to place my skimmer in a small area of my pump so I can free up the main chamber for LR and LS etc... The space I have is just over 6"X8". Would a coralife needlewheel125 fit there? all I can find on deminsions is that its widest point is just over 7", is the other deminsion within 6" or will this skimmer be to big for the slot I want it in?

Why put live rock and sand in the sump?
Save it for the main tank.
Use the sump for your equipment and I'd consider using a small area for a refugium.

I am thinking of adding on a 20 gal refugium a few months after I get fish stable. My LFS has a show refugium set up and I really like the idea and look. I'm thinking just a simple low flow overflow into my sump and return pump for that. I was going to do a little LR rubble for extra stability in the system.

If you enter Coralife 125 dimensions in web search, it will lead you to "5" x 7-1/4" x 24-1/2" high" :)

Sorry, don't have it, but if the space inside sump is limited, hang-on skimmers like Coralife, Remora or Turboflotor multi should help.

Is this going in your stand? If so, remember that:

1) you need to be able to remove the collection cup for cleaning, and

2) you may need to remove the entire skimmer for cleaning.

Be sure you have room for both of those.

Why put live rock and sand in the sump?
Save it for the main tank.
Use the sump for your equipment and I'd consider using a small area for a refugium.

Agreed, use the sump for mechanicals especially if you are planning a display refugium anyway. That little space in the sump won't make a big enough fuge to be really effective and could cause issues with sand in the pump, etc. Cryptic areas (rock and no light) are interesting, but are better incorporated into areas of the tank or fuge. Check out Tyree's work on the subject.

The Coralife 125 should fit. I've used their needle wheels before and I think they are among the highest value skimmer out there. Relatively inexpensive and work quite well. The only reason I use a "refugium" in a sump is to add extra biofiltration and nutrient export. A lighted sump "refugium chamber" is a great place to put extra live rock and chaeto. This will allow you to put more fish in your display tank without filling it all up with live rock. Typically these chambers are too small to add significantly to your copepod population. Definitely keep in mind space limitations.

Back