Specific gravity question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Roly

Go WhiteSox!
What are the pros and cons for having your specific gravity higher or lower? I have mine at 1.021. Is that OK? I have a fish only tank?

Here's some good reading to start:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/rhf/index.php

(There's alot more articles in the RF Resource Library.)

1.021 is a bit low. (Most people w/reefs run closer to natural saltwater levels like 1.025-1.026)

Though it sounds like you have a FO tank, so you can probably get away with being on the low end (like 1.023)...
The specific level is usually a matter of personal preference (but often dictated by the individual tank inhabitants) --but in all cases, a STABLE salinity is key.

To a point, the lower the salinity, the less stress on the fish. If fish and or plants only, that SG would be fine. If any corals or anemones are desired, the salinity would need to be higher.

Thanks everyone. Im def. gonna get into corals and inverts later on. Maybe next year. But for now should I get the SG higher? Is it true that the higher the salinity the more algae you get? It doesnt sound true seeing as that there is plenty of algae in fresh water tanks too.

To a point, the lower the salinity, the less stress on the fish

I agree...I think that is one of the reasons why they suggest introducing new fish to a tank with a lower salinity...Makes the transfer less stressful on the fish. As for the salinity affecting algae, couldn't say...:)

Oh! NICE. Didnt know that. I guess I'll keep it where it is until I get into the more advanced stuff. I def. am sooner or later. It would be a waste of a 110 gal tank for just fish. Theyre beautiful but theres nothing nicer than a well put together reef tank.

I love keeping my FO tank at a what is considered low salinity, 1.0215 as far as algae & the health of my fish I better not say anything because it is all doing great & hope it stays that way:eek:

IMO low salinity gives way to exelled algae growth but if you don't have an algae problem I would stay where your at.:)

Lower salinity closer to the "internal salinity" of a FO tank is much easier on the fish. Fish expel more energy in a reef, there bodies are working hard to lower the salinity of the sw. This is one reason hyposalinity works so well and aids in recovery.

Don

Back