Splitting Hairs???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

I would like to know some of ya alls opinion on this.

Tank size vs. water volume

Tank dimensions outside to outside 73.5 long X 37.5 deep X 25.5 tall = 304.26 gals
Tank dimensions inside to inside 72'' X 36'' X 24'' = 269.29 gals

So is it a 300gal tank

or

270 gal tank

And what would people think if it was in the Large Tank Thread???

Please direct all PMs to here
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=37019

Your funny:) Sometimes you need to look the other way or you may wake up with a horse head in your bed:):boxing:

Your funny:) Sometimes you need to look the other way or you may wake up with a horse head in your bed:):boxing:

Hey Buddie,
Long time, no post!!!
I assume life has gotten in the way of your play time??
I have been patiently waiting for an update on your award winning, colorful ,detailed, build.

Kevin and I have been butting heads on what size a tank should be listed as. Volume, or Dimensions ???

I figured if you need to add chemicals then accuracy would be important overall.

Then do we need to subtract the volume of rock we house in that tank??

Say 270 gals minus rock volume, say... 80gals worth.. Now the tank is rated a 190????

Yes that's also part of the math also, sadly even equipment in sumps and display occupy water space. I don't go down to the absolute gallon but i'm pretty close to ensure i'm not over dosing and that my Ca Reactor plus equipment are set correctly. That's how i do my tank and we all know each tank has its own personality.

If we're going to split hairs here, I'm using a conversion factor (cubic inches to gallons) of 0.00432. That only makes for 268.73856 gallons. Clearly, not the 269.29 that was advertised (and inflated). :)

By the way, does the large tank section mandate the it be a tank volume of 300 or system volume of 300?

just wow!

you all should know how I am a big part of this. I picked up a 73.75x36x26.5 tank and dave argued the fact that its not a 300g cuz of the inside dimension. my postition is NONE of our tanks are what they say they are becuase its always been the outside dimensions that dictate what size the tank is marketed as.

and dave does NOT have too much time....he is just a non-stop go-getter, measure twice and cut once kind of guy.

If it is total water volume of your system, on that thread. Then I need to redirect my 180 build.. LOL

I agree with calculations being as close as possible for total water volume of the system for any type of dosing.

It's big enough for me. I was just joking about the 268.73856 gallons thing. Giving Dave a hard time. As far as I'm concerned, it belongs in the large tanks section.

So, if you want to have the tank remade an inch larger in every direction and donate the old one to me, I'll be checking my inbox.

omg dave you posted quicker than I could pick up my phone and call you! ...............maybe you DO have a little extra time lol.

...and dave does NOT have too much time....he is just a non-stop go-getter, measure twice and cut once kind of guy.
He measures TWICE?? ah HA now i know his secret! Seriously, we spent an hour admiring his work today, and I honest to god thought i was gonna lose my wife, if Dave's wife hadnt of been home she woulda been moving in. Dave, am sorry about her drool marks on your custom wood furnite.. lol. Seriously though, she talked about that puzzle box and the hope chest non stop all the way home lol. I think you have a new fan!! Here is the place in LaConner i was telling you about. The work in there is beautiful, but most of it doesnt hold a candle to your furniture.
Northwest fine woodworking and gifts - La Conner, Washington

He measures TWICE?? ah HA now i know his secret! Seriously, we spent an hour admiring his work today, and I honest to god thought i was gonna lose my wife, if Dave's wife hadnt of been home she woulda been moving in. Dave, am sorry about her drool marks on your custom wood furnite.. lol. Seriously though, she talked about that puzzle box and the hope chest non stop all the way home lol. I think you have a new fan!! Here is the place in LaConner i was telling you about. The work in there is beautiful, but most of it doesnt hold a candle to your furniture.
Northwest fine woodworking and gifts - La Conner, Washington

Thanks Danny,
It was nice to see you and your wife again. I enjoy showing my pieces to any one who has a true interest. Very few do.
The link you provided is the same store I spoke of. Just a different branch. All of their inventory is juried by a panel. Sometime it is difficult to arrange for the drop off and pick up of your items, And their cut on the deal is very high.
Thanks for the kind words.

It's big enough for me. I was just joking about the 268.73856 gallons thing. Giving Dave a hard time. As far as I'm concerned, it belongs in the large tanks section.

So, if you want to have the tank remade an inch larger in every direction and donate the old one to me, I'll be checking my inbox.

You can hit me harder than that and I will still laugh with you.

just wow!

you all should know how I am a big part of this. I picked up a 73.75x36x26.5 tank and dave argued the fact that its not a 300g cuz of the inside dimension. my postition is NONE of our tanks are what they say they are becuase its always been the outside dimensions that dictate what size the tank is marketed as.

and dave does NOT have too much time....he is just a non-stop go-getter, measure twice and cut once kind of guy.

Where are you going to place that monster???

Back