spots on polyps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mr. Limpid

For the last two weeks my polyps have been closed up and there are greenish spots on them. Anyone have a clue what this is and the cure? They have been in my 20gal long for ever amonnia 0; nitrates 0; nitrites 0; calcium 460; akl 170; temp. 80; salinty 1.025. They only change to tank is LED (1watt mairneland reef fixture) added 6 months ago. Other corals are xina, hammer; plate with 1 yellow tail damsel, all these have been in tank for 2 years and longer.

Thanks for any help.

I would definitely suspect Zoa Pox as well. I have a lot of information on the disease, and ways to cure it. I can PM you all the info, if you'd like :)

Ive got spots on palys but no zoos! They are white and i dont think its the itch! My palys dont seem to be bothered by it either... :0

Thank God LOL!!!! I was trippin! I was like why do my palys have it and not the zoos! LOL
Guess now i have a way of telling the diff between the zoos and palys huh....LOL Thxs a tons man!

Thank God LOL!!!! I was trippin! I was like why do my palys have it and not the zoos! LOL
Guess now i have a way of telling the diff between the zoos and palys huh....LOL Thxs a tons man!

No problem :D Another difference between palys and zoas is the stalk size. Palys have long stalks. If a zoa has a stalk, that means it needs more light, because it is reaching. Zoas in general shouldn't have any kind of stalk.

If your concerned about them, dip them in Coral RX or a reef dip for dissinfecting corals. They shouldnt have green spots on them. That sounds possibly like bacteria. Pictures would help.

Thanks for all the reponses. If you dip them, do you put them back in the same tank. And the problem is that can not dip all of them some colonies are in different locations attached to rocks that have xina's attached to it.

Yeah, thats a problem. If they are on larger rocks you cant really get them out and dip them. Xenia can be dipped too. Revive, Coral RX, Seachem Reef Dip, you can use on pretty much all coral. Check the fine print on the bottles.
What I do is put tank water in two containers. One for mixing the dip and dipping the coral and the other for rinsing the coral off before putting it back in the tank. Thats just what I do.
If I am dipping new coral, I use the water that they came in to mix the dip and dip them and then use tank water to rinse them off and inspect them for any unwanted critters or algae.

Back