SPS and Anemone in Nano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My son John had an anenome that wandered and stung and eventually killed off all of his corals...If you were to try this..I would honestly suggest to start with a very small anenome.....Johns was about 5" when he got it,and i will admit..It was a big mistake..He lost lots of very beautifull corals..We learned a lesson and now Are now selling off the anenomes....He enjoys the corals so much....This is our story....Maybe others have had success with it!!!! Shane

Think twice about that move...

I have an RBTA in a 29 and it was OK in terms of size at first. I has grown to approx 7" diameter and is stinging a few corals I'd like to see do well.

Probably going to offer it up for sale or trade soon.

The RBTA is so beautiful and I've wanted one for years...humm, new tank or ditch the anemone...I would suggest passing...a healthy anemone will grow, even if it fits in your Nano for the moment.

My first tank was a 29 and contained an RBTA, which quickly outgrew the tank. It's now in a 46 bowfront and takes up A LOT of real estate. I wouldn't recommend any anemone for a nano. However, depends on what you're calling a nano, some consider anything less than a 75 a nano...lol.

I actually have 2 GBTAs in 33 gal right now. It used to be a small one but it got huge and split. The mother colony hasn't moved since being introduced to the tank 8 months ago and the clone hasn't moved since it settled to a spot. I would like to see some FTS of SPS and anemone in a nano. I will post mine later.

Thanks everyone!!

I have a 29 gal BioCube and in it the center piece is a plate size RBTA with 2 picasso's hosting in it. The only other type of coral is a few misc Zoos and some Kenya tree. Other then that its doing quite well. But I would not put any other corals in there. Thats what my 80 gal is for. ;)

Returnofsid, Just curious, do you think that SPS and Anenome in a nano will not survive because the anenome will sting the SPS? Or is it because you think the chemicals that the Anenome puts out will be a problem to the SPS?

makeme1098- I have those "colonial" type RBTAs. Actually my current count is 3 of them in my 29 gallon (Their feet are always well planted near the bottom of the tank, I cant' get any of them out.). They never get bigger than 3"-4" max, and split.

My sps do fine except when they get stung, or when a new split happens and the SPS get "stepped" on by the new BTA. Then again, I've also been in this hobby for 8+ years. My 29 also has a full fledged refugium/sump, skimmer and a phosphate/carbon reactor. Pretty souped up for a 29 gallon.

I manage to keep most of my SPS from getting stung by the roses because I keep my SPS and my powerheads on the upper 1/2 of my tank. The anenome all park themselves at the bottom of my tank to avoid the higher flows.

I also change out the carbon often since I also have lots of softies.

Hope that helps!

The problem is that this thread is titled SPS and Anemone in Nano. Typically, Nanos are smaller than 29, though the thread doesn't give a tank size. I don't think it's feasable to put an Anemone in a Nano and still hope to have SPS thrive.

IMo a Nano is under 15g.... a real nano in my eyes in a 10-or 5g....

and at that point i really think sps and nem's is imposable,

but then again, i dont know anything... so ..

i think a big part of this hole convo should be flow.... i think thats really what matters.. in a small tank..

of course specie's but then flow

Just to give you an idea what I have...again there is NO SPS in the tank at all...I wouldn't even try it...our goal was to find something for our picassos' to host in.
This is what our RBTA looked like when I first took this photo in Dec 2007.
IMG_0856_Vga.JPG

This is what he looks like as of about 15 mins ago when I took the photo.

29_gal_nano.JPG

What really surprises me is that it hasn't nor does it split. But for the last 10 months...it has thrived in that tank. When we go to leave the area in 2010 (I'm in the military) I have no idea what we'll do with it. It will have to be sold with the rock which is about 10+lbs. For sure we'll sell it...but I'm not sure how much lol.

My opinions are based on the fact that most anemone don't stay in the 3"-5" range. Most get a lot larger. Most will stretch their tentacles out as far as they're able to and sting anything they touch. SPS are much more damaged in a shorter time by an anemone sting than soft corals. Again, the size of the tank wasn't mentioned so this is all conjecture.

So this is my 33 gal nano. I have Koralia 1 pointing at anemone to keep the tenticles away from the SPS.
DSCF1107.jpg

Back