SPS frag tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Milez803

Hi everyone,
At this current moment, i'm trying to build a SPS frag tank with frag rack. I thinking about creating 40 gallon tank with frag rack. Use to grow my own sps coral. Here a list of supplie that i came up with. If i'm missing anything feel free to drop any advice.

40 gallon (36 inch long)
10 gallon (sump)
Egg crate( rack)
Calcium reactor
Phos reactor
overflow box
2x 250 watts MH lights (14k bulbs)
2x 65 watts attnic lights
20 pounds of Live rock

As of now..that all i can come up.anyone have any other idea i can use to be successful in growing my own frags of acro and sps coral.

Can you run it inline with your main system? I recommend it if you can. Less stress when the corals are moved back & forth when they are from the same system. No extra ca reactor needed then as well.

if it is growth you are wanting, i would switch to 10k's instead of 14k's..

Can you run it inline with your main system? I recommend it if you can. Less stress when the corals are moved back & forth when they are from the same system. No extra ca reactor needed then as well.
So very true. Also, no extra WCs, no extra heating, no extra skimmers, no extra cooling in the summer, no extra water testing...... You see where Im going with this? I have a separate system.....Im working on combining them for these and many more reasons.
I would stick with the same spectrum and wattage of MH you have over the display for the corals sake. If its 14s then Id skip the actinics because the corals dont need them and it saves electricity and bulb repalcement. I just upgraded my flow to a 100X turnover in my 40 frag tank and my SPS love it. So, lots of flow. If its a separate system you will need some LR, and then want ATO, dosing, etc....Good luck.
Believe me when I say it sure is nice having a frag tank. Even if it is a separate system its worth it.

So very true. Also, no extra WCs, no extra heating, no extra skimmers, no extra cooling in the summer, no extra water testing...... You see where Im going with this? I have a separate system.....Im working on combining them for these and many more reasons.
I would stick with the same spectrum and wattage of MH you have over the display for the corals sake. If its 14s then Id skip the actinics because the corals dont need them and it saves electricity and bulb repalcement. I just upgraded my flow to a 100X turnover in my 40 frag tank and my SPS love it. So, lots of flow. If its a separate system you will need some LR, and then want ATO, dosing, etc....Good luck.
Believe me when I say it sure is nice having a frag tank. Even if it is a separate system its worth it.
I agree 100%. In mine I also added in some utility fish and such to eat algae.

There are also advantages to a separate system - mainly quarantine for your new items. With all the pests out there now, not a bad idea to have a separate system. Lot easier to toss a bunch of frags than have to deal with a pest problem in the display system.

I have a 3' tank connected to my main system, and a 4' tank all on it's own for this very reason (among others).

if you want to push growth, consider iwasaki 6500k or xm 10000k bulbs on mag hqi (m80) ballast with a good reflector (lumenmax or similar), lots of random/chaotic water movement, and everything else you listed.... also, i would skip the pc actinics... imo, a frag tank is for pushing growth, display tanks are supposed to be pretty :)

Back