SPS help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

duckmans

Finman
Hi Everyone I'm new to SPS but really want to do it I have a 24 gal Aqua pod tank with a sunpod HD 20K. I just checked my SPS tank water quality last night and these are my readings are they ok? Alk= 8, phos= 0.1, Cal 480, Nitrate= Less than 10 and Salinity .28. Also My PH was low at 7.8 and I have started to address that as we speak. I'm having a hard time keeping even easy SPS alive. Please help Mike

Hi Everyone I'm new to SPS but really want to do it I have a 24 gal Aqua pod tank with a sunpod HD 20K. I just checked my SPS tank water quality last night and these are my readings are they ok? Alk= 8, phos= 0.1, Cal 480, Nitrate= Less than 10 and Salinity .28. Also My PH was low at 7.8 and I have started to address that as we speak. I'm having a hard time keeping even easy SPS alive. Please help Mike

How long have you had the tank running? What else do you have in the way of corals? What are "easy SPS" to you?

flow, lighting, water stability....

Here my thoughts/questions:

Do you use RO water?
What do you have for flow?

-I would do a 5 gallon water change once a week. Mix the salt the day before and let it get to room temp or even heat it up to 77. Also be diligent about topping of with fresh water. I would lower the salinity to 1.025. also start with some monti caps... my experience is they are easy and lots of people will hook you up with them for free.

Do you use RO water?

-I would do a 5 gallon water change once a week. Mix the salt the day before and let it get to room temp or even heat it up to 77. Also be diligent about topping of with fresh water. I would lower the salinity to 1.025. also start with some monti caps... my experience is they are easy and lots of people will hook you up with them for free.

Lol...

This is exactly where I was going with my previous question. I am willing to bet that you are still having some larger cycle swings that create too many stability issues that SPS are touchy about. When I first started I made the mistake of not having enough control of the salinity and would let the specific gravity swing from 1.025 to 1.030 and that is a huge strain on any corals.

Thanks for the help

Do you use RO water?

1) I do use RO water
2) I have the regular return and a Korilla 2
3) I dont have a auto refill

I will start doing the 5 gal a week water change and lower my Salinity and give that a try. I have a monti cap Orange in color and I'm trying to keep it from turning white which I have done to a few in the past. Everyone on this forum has been very nice in sharing and I hope to do the same as I learn and help people. Thanks for your time. Mike

Blue Tort

Lol...

This is exactly where I was going with my previous question. I am willing to bet that you are still having some larger cycle swings that create too many stability issues that SPS are touchy about. When I first started I made the mistake of not having enough control of the salinity and would let the specific gravity swing from 1.025 to 1.030 and that is a huge strain on any corals.

What do I do about the white on the tips of this tort should I clip them off to let them try to grow back? see picture

That all sounds perfect. I would just add the weekly 5 gallon water changes and then just try to keep everything stable. Don't go crazy testing things like Cal/Alk for the amount of SPS you have the water changes should give you enough of both.

As for the Tort can you get a better picture? Those tips look weird. If the tips just lost their tissue and are now stable you can cut them off.

I do put purple up in once a week. ans ph buffer when needed.

Don't use purple up nor buffer PH.
Additives just make things unbalanced.
Good water changes can not be improved on unless the minerals are being consumed faster than water changes can replace. That requires massive coral growth rates.

Don't use purple up nor buffer PH.
Additives just make things unbalanced.
Good water changes can not be improved on unless the minerals are being consumed faster than water changes can replace. That requires massive coral growth rates.

So are you saying just do water changes once a week and that should take care of it?

What happens if the PH is low do another water change?

So are you saying just do water changes once a week and that should take care of it?

If even that frequently
What happens if the PH is low do another water change?
Don't sweat the PH, it will find it's own balance and improve as the tank matures.

Messing with chemistry does much more harm than good. As you get more experience and your tank has greater demands, you will know what to do.

"Keep it simple" always works best.
Stability with good flow, good lighting and clean water can not be beat...

Also using a buffer for ph well also raise alk. so watch it. The ph well run a little on the low side in the winter as the house is kept closed up more. Ph is mainly affected by CO2 levels in the house, a closed up house with some dogs and cats and kids well tend to have more CO2. As long as the ph stays around 7.8-8.4 you're okay. I would get the salinity down and make sure your refractometer is cal. correctly.

Updates

any updates on your aquapod?

Yes I was way to high on the Calcium and my Salinity was a little high I have done a few water changes and it seems to be doing better. Still looking at getting some additional lighting actinic t-5 or something. Thanks for asking and thanks to everyone for the help.

Mike

Back