SPS id

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seismic

Balaenoptera musculus
Hi all. Im new here. Still trying to grapple in id'ing the various acros...I guess Im in the right place. I need some help in id'ing some of the acros I have.

Lets start with these 2 pics below. 1st pic ,whats the one in the background and the foreground.

Thanx in advance.

:)

That first picture looks a lot like one of mine did at that early growth stage. Now it's more mature it has been a tough one to id. Below is the thread link from mine. Your piece is very, very close to what mine used to look like.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25126
I will be watching this thread with interest.
My guess on the 2nd picture is A humilus or something closely related

Last edited:
The second picture I will guess is Acropora humilus. In the first picture they are both Acropora but that's about as far as I can guess :)

Regards,
Kevin

I guess its not even easy for the experts to make a clear identification eh ? That makes me feel better.... I've got a few more that needs id'ng...will upload more pics when my internet connection picks up...its really slow now...

Hey Greg, i saw your pics from your threads, definately theres a 99% similarity there between the one you posted and mine. Mine is from Indonesia as well. We mostly get coral from Indonesia here. How does it look like now ?? Can you post a pic here ??

Hey Greg, i saw your pics from your threads, definately theres a 99% similarity there between the one you posted and mine. Mine is from Indonesia as well. We mostly get coral from Indonesia here. How does it look like now ?? Can you post a pic here ??
It looks like the pictures in that thread. There is only one picture showing what it used to look like. I am almost positive it's the same. It should table out into quite a nice piece and encrust and spread where ever you let it.

Ok, heres more for the sps gurus here to id.

Pic 1 is actually purplish, is it some kin of echinophora ?

Pic 2 is an acro I got really cheap from the dealer is was really dark brown, but I could see the polyps still.Wanted to see if the colors would come back in my tank.It looks a lighter brown now...more to beige...hope it improves..

How come the pics i posted comes up as thumbnails...not loaded into the thread itself...is there anything im doing wrong here ?

I use the
and the pics come out in the thread the right size, otherwise I can't help with posting pics. That second pic almost looks like a seriatopora. I don't believe it to be a acropora.

The pictures are too blurry for me to get a really good look so impossible, at least for me, to properly id, but from what I can see that first piece looks almost velvet like so I am guessing a montipora of some type but I am leaning towards some kind of Porites. :confused:
As for the second I think Sue is on the right track.

Last edited:
Alrite, what about the next two ?

Whats the one on the top left corner

acro6.jpg

Is this a staghorn ? Its actually lime green in color....my photography skills need to be polished still...

acro4.jpg

Last edited:
the top left looks to be merulina and the second pic looks to be the famous bali green slimer stag. Acropora yongie.

seismic, from your first pic, first set of pics, I'm going to say A granulosa.... while the second one from the first set of pics may be humilis, it may also be gemmifera... need to get a good pic of the corallite structure.

Hello,
Here are my thoughts.
The lavender one looks like an encrusting Porites that may have/had some embedded Christmas tree worms in it. The species may be P. lichen.

The second one looks like it may be a Pocillipora perhaps damicornis.

The green one is likely to be Acropora yongei a very fast growing open staghorn type coral. It produces copious amounts of slime when disturbed or exposed to air. It can survive several hours out of water because of the slime coat.

The last one I'm guessing is Merulina ampliata.

Cheers,
Kevin

Part of my SPS corner in my tank...

acro2.jpg

I guess the one on the foreground, bottom right is a pocillopora ??

A few days ago, while putting up some of the newer acros, I accidentally tipped my monti, and it broke to several large pieces, I managed to collect as many as I could and stuck them in various crevices between the LRs for the time being. Any advice how can get them back together, can I use epoxy ?

Yo can actually see some of the broken parts to the right of the pic.

I have a true red monti. that I broke accidentally trying to clean the glass. I knew it was getting close to the front glass but noooo, I couldn't be more careful. I super glue gelled it back together. I can tell it's already taking hold and the 2 pieces will heal and keep right on growing.

When you talk about super glue, are you referring to the super glue we normally use to patch normal house hold stuff like broken remotes, something like Selleys and UHU, or are you referring to something specific for marine ?

Back