SPS vs red mushroom...which one wins?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcoomer

Who's your daddy?!?
I've got a healthy looking Pearlberry frag that I want to place on a piece of rock that also has some red mushrooms growing on it. The mushrooms are uninvited guests, having hitched a ride on some past purchase, so I don't care if the coral kills or overgrows the mushroom but I don't want it to work the other way around. If they are touching which one will win?

Thanks,
Mike

Already moved the frag. Didn't know which would win but didn't want to find out the hard way.

Thanks,
Mike

I too am going with mushroom....I just had a superman yuma kill a cali tort and another acro

Kill the shrooms with kalk paste. Works well.. If you have any larger gauge syringe/needles laying around, inject a thick kalk liquid into em(as thick as you can get through the neede). Kills em every time, and will work on the ones that are growing underneath ledges and whatnot. Then you can put your SPS where ever you want. :)

Kill the shrooms with kalk paste. Works well.. If you have any larger gauge syringe/needles laying around, inject a thick kalk liquid into em(as thick as you can get through the neede). Kills em every time, and will work on the ones that are growing underneath ledges and whatnot. Then you can put your SPS where ever you want. :)

Sweet-good to know-I have some shrooms that just wont die-I just ripped about 4 out of my tank earlier, but I know they will return.

Its always an anxious time "seeing who will win"

Glad my tyree undata won the battle between itself and my purple have.

Love the statement earlier about the cheap coral always winning-

SO TRUE

Would anyone have a suggestion on where I can find a 12" needle for a syringe?

Some shrooms are hard to reach

Would anyone have a suggestion on where I can find a 12" needle for a syringe?

Some shrooms are hard to reach

Doctors office or dentist maybe. :D I feel like my dentist used a long needle when I had my wisdom teeth out.

And FWIW I started with one lonely little blue shroom about 4 years ago and now I have over 50 in my 20H.

Last edited:
I've had some shrooms hitchhike and kill a section of one of my nice acros. I scraped them off the rock work. I'll try the kalk paste next time that was mentioned above.

I've been applying a thick kalk paste to some sections of rock that have/had quite a few mushrooms and I can attest to the fact that they don't like it. The kalk literally causes them to melt away, leaving a bleached white rock behind. I've only got a few more to deal with now. One of them is right next to a piece of red monti cap and I've intentionally left it alone to see what would happen. The spot that the shroom is touching is white and not growing so that I've got a U shaped slot forming as the rest of the plate grows out. Guess that one's going to take a kalk shower pretty soon.

Mike

Back