SRV's 300 gal.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What is an Algae turf scrubber? looks pretty interesting.....Is it for reef tanks? Here in Hawaii we have FOWLR tanks.....no corals ...you have an amazing looking tank...Aloha

Actually ATS's are considered really "old school". I believe they became popular right after bottom filters and just before Bio tower's or wet dry's were used. I'm sure someone will correct me if my timeline is off. :D They are used to export Nitrate and Phophate from a system. Basicly, you run water over a screen or mat, alternating the wet and dry periods. This develops a "turf algae" on the screen, because of this dry period. The Turf Algae is supposed to be more proficient at exporting nutriants than the algaes we use in the fuges.
I used to use an ATS on my salt water fish only system 20+ years ago but at that time we used dump buckets to give the screen a dry period instead of the water switching device that I'm using now. Dump Buckets = Major Salt Creep!!!:eek: I have a screen in each bucket that I now clean weekly. It was cheap and easy to build, as you can see.:oops: I'm trying the ATS to see if it will help me dealing with my plague of Bryopsis I've had for the last 10months. This is my alternative to raising my Mag. to 1800 PPM. Here is a pic of one of the screens I cleaned.

ReefPics4-29-09005.jpg

Huh..... I wonder if anyone else noticed the stainless lip on the top of the tank.... or the custom slide-out system (first pic) for sliding the tank and stand out from the wall.

Pretty cool! :)

I really need to finish that top trim piece.:oops::rolleyes:

Hey Dan, how well do you think my custom slide-out mechanism would work if I had water in the tank?????:p;)

Travis,
I didn't. I have access to the Lumenbright reflector for a pretty good price and I'm trying to decide weather to build my own or step up to the Lumenbright. Supposedly, this is a much better reflector than the Lumenarc. Still in the thinking mode.:D
do not want to get away from the tank but i took this from an article that roscoe had on here

well with the hammertone they are like the lumenmax Elite

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/review thats the whole thing if you want to read it to

The reflectors seem to fall into 2 separate groups, Group 1, the Lumenarc and the Lumenmax and Group 2 comprising Lumen Brite and Lumenmax Elite. The Group 1 reflectors seem to be better at providing a wider coverage, whereas the group 2 reflectors tend to focus the light slightly more creating higher peak values and smaller spread.
The lumenarc III and the Lumenmax reflectors provide a large area of light coverage and hence are more suitable for tanks wider than 3 ft.

The Lumenbrite and Lumenmax elite are more suitable for tanks 3ft or less in width. They tend to provide a more focused coverage and higher peak values than the Lumenmax and Lumenarc reflectors. This can allow for better use in taller tanks, as more light can reach the bottom, or allow for higher placement of the lights thus reducing the heat dissipating in the water, or allow for higher light values to be obtained lower in the tank. This would allow the user to create a reef with a much lower rock profile. On shallower tanks 24" or less these reflectors would easily allow the user to move from a 400W lamp to a 250W lamp, resulting in savings in electrical costs

Last edited:
do not want to get away from the tank but i took this from an article that roscoe had on here

well with the hammertone they are like the lumenmax Elite

Travis,
Now you wouldn't be trying to cloud my judgement with facts, would you? :D:D:D I've read these article's from Sanjay but I do thank you for the post. I'm not eliminating the possibility of building my own reflectors, in fact I'm kind of a DIY guy and will probably go that route when the time comes. While my lighting is far from perfect it is adaquate for now. My focus for now is more on building a new skimmer. Just to show you how slow my decision making process is, I've been looking at building a new skimmer for over 6 months and still haven't decided on a design yet. :oops:

Tremendous rick - tremendous! now do I dare ask if you've set that ozone up yet? ;)

I love your big clam! what a great piece!

Tremendous rick - tremendous! now do I dare ask if you've set that ozone up yet? ;)

I love your big clam! what a great piece!

Ben,
Good to hear from you. Let's see, NO! :p But, you will be delighted to know I've changed my mind on just about every aspect of the ozone project.:D:D:D It is still in the design phase. Every time I come up with what I consider to be a great idea, I run it by Danno and he slams me, so I start all over again. So, it's all his fault. :D

I got the clam from "Salmonslayer" as a tank warming gift! It was about 10", 16" now. Great score. I'm just hoping he doesn't want it back.:eek:

Did you happen to notice in the 5th post, the 2nd pic, that little brown frag behind the yellow tailed damsel? Look familiar?

Travis,
Now you wouldn't be trying to cloud my judgement with facts, would you? :D:D:D I've read these article's from Sanjay but I do thank you for the post. I'm not eliminating the possibility of building my own reflectors, in fact I'm kind of a DIY guy and will probably go that route when the time comes. While my lighting is far from perfect it is adaquate for now. My focus for now is more on building a new skimmer. Just to show you how slow my decision making process is, I've been looking at building a new skimmer for over 6 months and still haven't decided on a design yet. :oops:

no no no i wouldnt do that.

i was just posting that because you said something about the lumenbright beging better than the lumenmax elites when they are supposed to be the same

I run it by Danno and he slams me, so I start all over again. So, it's all his fault.
Hey there.... wait a minute! Just 'cause I give you another variable to consider>>>> ah well, I'll take the blame :)

Just tell me what you need ;)
D

Thanks on the system. The jury is still out on the red gorgonian. It polyps really well throughout the night, but just randomly during the day. Any advise?

I know they like a lot of flow and lower light. Under too high of light, algae starts to grow on them and can kill them. I used to blow mine off regularly with a turkey baster. It did polyp during the day, but nothing like at night. I have an emperor angel that used to nip at its polyps too so I'm sure that didn't help. I would move them away from the anemone though. I try to keep everything away from my anemonies. Feeding it rodifers, cyclopeeze, mysis, etc. may help too.

Huh..... I wonder if anyone else noticed the stainless lip on the top of the tank.... or the custom slide-out system (first pic) for sliding the tank and stand out from the wall.

Pretty cool! :)

I never noticed the tracks on the floor. Are those tracks? What I noticed was the cables on top of the tank and wondered if they are part of a pully system to lift the lid for access to the tank. So I take it the cables hold the hood and the actual tank pulls out?

I know they like a lot of flow and lower light. Under too high of light, algae starts to grow on them and can kill them. I used to blow mine off regularly with a turkey baster. It did polyp during the day, but nothing like at night. I have an emperor angel that used to nip at its polyps too so I'm sure that didn't help. I would move them away from the anemone though. I try to keep everything away from my anemonies. Feeding it rodifers, cyclopeeze, mysis, etc. may help too.

Actually, I moved them as soon as I was done taking the pic's. That nem changes size constantly. It will be 12" one day and 20" on another. Thanks for the info. on the red Gorgonian.

I never noticed the tracks on the floor. Are those tracks? What I noticed was the cables on top of the tank and wondered if they are part of a pully system to lift the lid for access to the tank. So I take it the cables hold the hood and the actual tank pulls out.

:D:D:D No. That would be Danno "sarcasm". They are just PVC pipes I used to move the tank around on the carpet while I was setting it up.

Yes, the cables are a lift system that Danno (that name keeps coming up) turned me on to. I had to alter it quite a bit to make it fit my hood, but it is really easy to do. Here are some pic's of mine. The brand/name escapes me right now but I will find the link and post it for you.

300gal-5.jpg

300gal-4.jpg

300gal-3.jpg

i am really thinking about doing that to mine ever since i saw it over at your house.It would be way easyer then taking mine off everytime i need to move something

That would be Danno "sarcasm". They are just PVC pipes I used to move the tank around on the carpet while I was setting it up

Yah... only because after your BACK SURGERY you were supposed to let me come help you move that beast.... instead you went and did it yourself anyway!

Yes, the cables are a lift system that Danno (that name keeps coming up) turned me on to. I had to alter it quite a bit to make it fit my hood, but it is really easy to do. Here are some pic's of mine.
yours still looks way better than mine..... perhaps I will get off my but, stop eating bon-bons for a moment, and finish mine that nicely ;)

Yah... only because after your BACK SURGERY you were supposed to let me come help you move that beast.... instead you went and did it yourself anyway!

yours still looks way better than mine..... perhaps I will get off my but, stop eating bon-bons for a moment, and finish mine that nicely ;)

I remember that. He just dont like to ask. You have to just show up. Remember when he was on the roof and he looked down and seen you standing there with your nail bags LOL. :rolleyes:

This is the one I love. OOP'S wasn't suppose to post that one. Sorry

IMG_3922.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I would update this thread with the skimmer I put on a couple of weeks ago. It is 12"X 12"X 5' tall, gravity fed with 8 - 2"X 9" ceramic air stones driven by an Altima 100 air pump. Sure works a lot better than my old ETSS800.

001.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

Back