staghorn help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seaweed

hello all

i have this issue with especially green acro's

they get this stunning dark green colour then all of a sudden they start looking like they getting burnt ( looking brown and brittle)

what could the cause of this be.

all my other sps and lps are awesome.

calcium on 400
kh 9
sg 1026
nitrate0
nitrite 0
ph is 8.3-8.4

what else could it be, pls wanna save my babies

thanks

Need more Data

Hi Seaweed Can you help us out with some info:
What kind of lights do you have? When was the last time you changed bulbs?
What is the size of the tank?
How frequently do you do water changes ?
Live stock list?
do you dose your tank?
Calcium/Kalk Reactors?
lastly pictures are worth a 1000 words...
I truely love them Acro's I hope you can get some help...Jeff

hello all

i have this issue with especially green acro's

they get this stunning dark green colour then all of a sudden they start looking like they getting burnt ( looking brown and brittle)

what could the cause of this be.

all my other sps and lps are awesome.

calcium on 400
kh 9
sg 1026
nitrate0
nitrite 0
ph is 8.3-8.4

what else could it be, pls wanna save my babies

thanks

Last edited:
tank is 1,2m x 1m x 5
weekly water changes, been using nsw changing to msynthetic
also going across to zeovit

ca 400
kh 9
mg 1340
po4 0.2
nitrate 0
sg 1026
temp 27c

have loads of fish love em

huge skimmer handels 2000l easy double beckett and a smaller one too, wanting to upgrade to kz skimmer.

6 x 54 watt ati power mod bulbs 6mnths
400 reeflux 12k with coral vue blallast
aqua medic carx

otherwise all the same will post pics

newcam002.jpg

newcam041.jpg

OK so the tank if I understand is cube tank about 48" by 60" You have a 400 watt halide with Power Compaq support on the lighting It seems your keeping up with the light bulb changes so thats good! How new was this Green Acro added ? What depth in the previous tank was it in?
What kind of light was it under before you got it? How long did you have it before you saw a color change to green?
I hope Kevin will get on this morning and point some thing else out.
First its lights
second we check chemistry from what I have read Its Nitrates or Phosphate that can change coral colors.
another tip is flow HI flow now or low flow Compared to its previous location (tank)
lastly fish are they all behaving?
I have had personal trouble with Pygmy angels ( Coral Beauty) pecking on my SPS .. I hope this helps a little i also hope some wisdom will also be posted...Lets see what Kevin has to say...Jeff

Hello,
Do you have a picture of the coral in question? Lighting adjustment is usually the cause of color change in Acropora when the chemistry is OK. With all the changes you are doing it may take a few months for the corals to adapt.

Cheers,
Kevin

thanks kevin, a quick question po4 was 0.81 and 1 half weeks later its 0.33 could this cause stress to the green staghorn, omly the green acro's loose green and become brown and brittle

High phosphates and/or organic compounds that build up can cause darkening or browning of corals. Too much light on green corals usually causes them to turn a yellowish cream color.

Regards,
Kevin

well, it looks like burnt and brittle, a friend mentioned kh and it has been between 9-11, on zeovit they reccomend 6-7 so mayb thats a reason,

Back