Stainless steel clamps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Burrower

I had a close call this afternoon when my pump (inside of a preskimmer box) came disattached from my hang-on skimmer intake. Water shot out of the top of the aquarium, but fortunately I was there to immediately cut power and prevent an excessive spill.

I've always feared this might happen..I was not happy with the vinly tubing connecting the barb and male thread held in place by cheap plastic clamps. The incident today confirmed this suspicion! I can't really think of a creative way to union the pump and skimmer intake, so I've opted to get a better clamp. For the short term, I went to Home Depot and purchased stainless steel metal clamps..the kind that you screw down. I really don't want my skimmer out of operation any longer than necessary. With the above in mind, I have two questions:

1) Are these stainless steel clamps safe to use, at least until I can get a "marine" grade clamp, and (assuming they are)

2) what should I obtain to replace them.

As always...thanks for any advice!

If you get the good plastic ones and use pliers to lock them they will not fall off. Check a auto parts store. They are used on evap system with much much more pressure than your skimmer with years of reliability.

Don

zip tie is the best way... to go....

I dont remember from my metallurgy but i learned all about what kinda of metel content and % you need to get a non rusting metal in saltwater......

i could take a look at my books and see what i can find...... If i remember your not gonna find anything on the self thats not gonna rust in salt water for cheap.... (like lots of money for a little clamp) and it will be a soft metel as well.... (low carbon content) which will make it weak... unless reinforced with zink, of manganeses or something like that.

I've found most of the generic stainless steel clamps I have run into still have steel screws - I would watch out for those, and maybe replace the screw just to be sure....

I had a close call this afternoon when my pump (inside of a preskimmer box) came disattached from my hang-on skimmer intake. Water shot out of the top of the aquarium, but fortunately I was there to immediately cut power and prevent an excessive spill.

I've always feared this might happen..I was not happy with the vinly tubing connecting the barb and male thread held in place by cheap plastic clamps. The incident today confirmed this suspicion! I can't really think of a creative way to union the pump and skimmer intake, so I've opted to get a better clamp. For the short term, I went to Home Depot and purchased stainless steel metal clamps..the kind that you screw down. I really don't want my skimmer out of operation any longer than necessary. With the above in mind, I have two questions:

1) Are these stainless steel clamps safe to use, at least until I can get a "marine" grade clamp, and (assuming they are)

2) what should I obtain to replace them.

As always...thanks for any advice!

Sounds like your pump output spout might be too small OD for the ID of the tubing your using. A barbed fitting works pretty well without a clamp if fitted correctly, although a clamp gives you peace of mind. I would also add that using aquarium sealant on the barbed fitting, and using a plastic clamp that's clamped down using pliers is what I would do if I had any doubts about a connection.

I've found most of the generic stainless steel clamps I have run into still have steel screws - I would watch out for those, and maybe replace the screw just to be sure....

Or worse, brass screws...thereby risking leaching Cu into system.

And believe me, you don't want that.

Another Idea:

Use pvc pipe to raise the level of the output out of the sump/tank.. then use any clamp you want.

Back