Star Polups

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dieselbreath

Lost in the salty water
I have these growing all over the frotn of my small tank. They got started after my one of my rocks tipped and ended up against the tank. Within no time they have gone up the side and now are about 6" wide and 1' long. What is the best way to get them off without damaging them or the Tank(acrylic)?

Jason

You can try the old credit card approach. It shouldn't hurt the tank or damage the GSP. It will retract all its tentacles and may not put them out again until a day or even a week later, depending on how irritated it is.

WOW, your are growing on the glass?????

mine are makeing a run for the rock (across the sand)

you know whats really cool, when i feed the fish, and maybe a pellet will land in the GSp, the hermits bum rush it, sometimes then even dig up the GSP mat,

its like there looking under the carpet or something.....

my gsp about a year ago....

615b3886.jpg

and as of 25 seconds ago.

Picture3002272.jpg

the first pic is the gsp on a test tube cap,

the 2nd pic they are in the middle of that bush..... dead center

Hey Jason - jan's idea of a credit card will work. Any scraper should work in fact. I've got them growing as my back drop on the back and sides of the tank and I think it's a cool look. If it's encrouching on the front of your glass though, just best to scrape it off in a sheet.. then you can superglue it to a rock and trade it as a frag :)

I just scraped them off the front of the tank. They came off in a complete sheet. They are now moved to my big tank. And hae been draped over one of the rocks. I hope that they will take off again. They do look nice, like a golf coarse lawn actually.

How much light do Torch and Hammers like???
Jason

nice work Jason. It's kinda fun isn't it. it sounds weird, but if you want them to adhere better to the rock, you can score the back of the mat w/ a razorblade and then glue it on. It'll adhere to the rock overtime no matter what, but I've found when you cut it on the back and then glue it, it adheres quicker.

regarding your hammer & torch, I have mine at the bottom of an 18" deep tank under 2 250w MH and they seem to like it best there. I think you said you just upgraded to T5s. They should be good someowhere in the middle to even at the bottom probably.

I wish I could get mine to stay alive and in view every time I find it and put it back my lawn mower knocks it over and out of view again haven't seen it for a little while now :(

Back