Start fuge at start up?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Astro's Reef

Hello all,
I'm setting up a 90 gal reef with a gravity feeding fuge. Was wondering if i should wait until after the tank cycles before adding the fuge to the system? Or can i just set the whole thing up at once? My guess is wait until it cycles. But why guess when i can ask. :)

I would start it at once, just leave the algae out for a week or two. Let the system settle in, then add some chaeto, it seems to work best for me. If you have a skimmer let it run from the start too.

Thanks Wrightme.
Dont know if i should have mentioned this but I'm also planning on using mud in the fuge. Also not sure if im getting cured or uncured rock. Does this matter?

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Uncured rock will start the cycle for you while the rock is curing in the tank. Just be sure to scrub off any dead and decaying material before the rock goes in....you can smell the rock and find the dead spots if you can't see them. I also blasted the rock, once in the tank curing, with a powerhead to dislodge any more decaying organic matter. I'd siphon out the big pieces.

With cured rock, you'll need to start the nitrogen cycle somehow.....the easiest way, IMO, is by sticking a couple of pieces of raw shrimp from the store in a nylon stocking. Toss the nylon in the tank until the shrimp look like they are decaying, then you can pull the nylon out. This will help to jump start the bacterial populations.

Can't wait to see the system come together! What are you planning on keeping in your 90?

Thanks Nikki,
Right now the only thing holding me up is the 160-200 lbs of live rock that i need. Just dont have an extra $1000 lying around at the moment. But I plan on keeping LPS, clams, and shrimp to start with. Then eventually get some SPS once I can get my hands on a calcium reactor. As far as fish go, I'd like to get a few blennies, including a mandarine, a maroon gold bar clown, copperband butterfly, and 2 tangs. And a few other little guys thrown in the mix. I'm all about slow and steady and will only take on what I and the tank can handle.

Last edited:
www.oceanproaquatics.com i think you can get 160-200 lbs of rock for much less then $1000 with shipping, or liveaquaria.com alot of online is quite a bit cheaper, or use some base rock (dry rock to get some filtration in there) also realize some of the more expensive rock isn't need as much of (in terms of lbs) because they have more surface area for their weight resulting in better filtration
for your fish, be very wary of the order of adding them, and 3 tangs usually fair better then 2 in terms of territory, my one that i added first killed at least 2-3 fish
here is another place reefermadness.us it has good live rock price, you can get 150-200 lbs of live rock for less then $700 probably even less if you take advantage of base rocks

Last edited:
I checked out ocean pro aquatics. It seems i can go with 50lbs fiji base rock and 90 lbs of Tonga Kalini for $550.37. That includes shipping. The rest will be Fiji that i can get at LFS for $4.99/lb. Does this seem like it will work? Is 50lbs base rock too much/too little?
Thanks again for all your advice.

lol, that fiji you're talking about is my rock, all of it, i think they have even cheaper base rock just depends i mean i like the rocks that i have, think they look nice, but it's not the branches some people like, it really just depends on what you want your tank to look like

Alex - sounds like a good plan. You'll like the Kaelini. Also, don't feel like you have to use all the rock. Try and picture how you want the aquascape to look, and if a piece doesn't work, don't feel like you have to use it.

I came up with an idea for the aqua scaping awhile back. The concept was to add functionality to the design. Instead of using bulky pieces of rock as the first layer on the sandbed, I would use nice pieces of tonga branch. Then stack and build the reef on top of the branch. (only about 2-3" layer of branch)
The function behind this would be fewer stagnet dead spots. Water can flow underneath the whole reef. Less of the sandbed surface area would be covered with rock allowing more of the sandbed to work. And my fish and critters would have a nice little safe haven.
In theory this sounds good but the down side is the stability. Branch rock is probably not the most stable of foundations to build on. I may give it a try anyway just to see if it can be done.

The concept behind what you are trying to accomplish sounds fine. What you can do is use PVC or something similar as "pylons" for under the botton pieces. You can use zip ties to secure the rocks for a more stable structure. Either zip tie the branch pieces to the pvc in the sand or zip tie them together for stability. Something you might have to play with when you get the rock. Can't wait to see it come together!

Back