Starting 55 Gal Reef tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Goatse

I bought a 55 gal includes pump, lighting, stand, lid, protein skimmer and more. I have 6 months before I add fish, I will be moving and would like to avoid shocking fish so I will hold off until later. However I want to get the reef going and stableize the tank until then I have some questions.

*From what I understand live rock is only rock with bacteria, and life living on it. I have a spot where I can pull TONS of Texas Holy Rock for free. Would it be possible to buy or gather Holy Rock and add some live rock in the tank and expect the life on the live rock to grow on the "dead rock" and substrate? If so in a 6 month period what would you recommend for the ratio of live/dead rock?

*I have had other fish tanks in the past one of which was a chichlid tank. As substrate I added sandblast(aka black beauty, coal slag) after alot of heavy cleaning. This sand produces high PH & I hear irritates skin because it is more sharp than natural sand, also I fear it might carry contaminates that delicate fish cannot handle. Can somone help me here? if not what is the safest/cheapest substrate?

*Is there anyway to speed up the growth of liverock? Is there a term or word used to say "growth/spreading of liverock?

Yes you can seed dead rock with live rock. I think it will take quite a while though for the bacteria to be enough to do any good though, but yes its worth it since you will have no fish.

Get crushed coral for the substrate OR go bare bottom. The fake stuff is ugly and dumb in a saltwater setup, I have seen it though.

Liverock doesnt grow LOL You will want lots of water movement and lights so some nice purple algae will grow on it. Get some pieces of nice purple liverock from someone and you can build a base of the dead rock.

It will take time as EVERYTHING worth doing right does.

i guess i worded it wrong. i ment spread. should i spread it in a seperate tank from the main tank? if so how big? what amount of live to dead rock? how long will it take to become live? how do i know when it is alive? someone told me not to add lights when growing? thanks for your help.

I would put it all in the main tank that you will be cycling.

Time would depend on how much live to how much dead I would imagine. If you want it to be super fast get all live rock, if you want it slow get only a little.

Maybe someone else could answer the how you know its live part. I have no idea. I think once it cycles and is giving off no nitrate/rites it would be considered live rock, though the bacteria would take a lot longer to develop.

Just buy as much live rock as you want to spend, then get the rest dead and put it into the tank. Get water movement going and do water changes. Start there.

If your waiting 6 months before any fish though I would only get a little live rock and just seed the rest. How long will that take... I dont know, but once you have cycled your tank it doesnt really matter.

Back