starting a 55 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklight2ooo

I have a 12 gallon that is well astablished. The only problem is that i want to take the rock from the 12 gallon and put it into my 55 gallon so i can start that tank off. I want to get my fish into that tank :)

I have corals on the rock and im thinking they will not do well in the new tank that is going to be trying to cycle. should i chizzle them off the rock and then put the rock into the new tank?

Or do you guys think that it will survive. They are some shrooms, frogspawn and some other random corals.

You are going to need a lot more LR for the 55 than you can fit in a 12g(which you probably already knew) so if I were you I'd just get some LR for the 55, let it cycle and then after the cycle transfer everything from the 12 gallon.
If you still want to cycle the tank with the rock your best bet is to just chizzle them off as you already mentioned. The mushrooms might be able to make it through.

If you throw your corals in the 55g that needs to break they will most likely die imo. I'd buy some LR, let it cycle, then put your fish in. Then make sure they are ok, then throw the lr and coral in.

I agree with Soya and Luke.

It really depends where you get your rock. If you buy a ton of base rock then you could add your rock right away after you clean the new rock really well. You shouldn't expect a drastic cycle in this senario.

If you buy LR that has been previously wet, then you will want to cycle the tank and then add your contents later. I do not recommend that you add your corals and things to the new tank until after you're sure the cycle is complete.

There is one more option. You could set up the 55g with all fresh sand and fresh SW. You would then add the contents of your current tank to the new set up. After that you would have to add your LR slowly, piece by piece, and you would have to buy aged rock from a trusted source. The problem with this method is that if you add too much rock at one time, then you run the risk of starting a cycle or if you add rock with something like red bugs then you run the risk of losing your current stock.

Good luck :)

Well what i plan on doing at this point is to buy a lot of base rock then by some live rock to seed it. If i did this how long do you think it would take to cycle. Is there something i could put into the tank to help it or would i just be best off waiting.

Right now all im going to have is dry base rock added with some dry live sand that i added. I am planning on adding live rock in a bit but as for now could i put my fish into that tank or would there be spikes that might kill her?

Well what i plan on doing at this point is to buy a lot of base rock then by some live rock to seed it. If i did this how long do you think it would take to cycle. Is there something i could put into the tank to help it or would i just be best off waiting.

Right now all im going to have is dry base rock added with some dry live sand that i added. I am planning on adding live rock in a bit but as for now could i put my fish into that tank or would there be spikes that might kill her?

Seed it with what?? You dont "need" to seed anything it will cycle with just the dry rock, you may need to toss in a shrimp but thats it. Wait for it to cycle then add your fish.

Don

when i was talking about seeding i ment the bactiria that is on my current live rock that would be transfuring to the new dry rock.

what kind of shrimp would you suggest?

yep the bacteria will feed on the rotting shrimp...and i would wait for 4 weeks before transferring but it could be done cycling sooner than that for sure, have to check...all tanks are a little different

Go ahead and light the tank. This will get the algae blooms out of the way during the cycle process.

Don

what you are thinking of is cooking the rock...only needs to be done if you have unwanted pests and things you want to "die off"

listen to don he knows this sort of thing ;)

Dry "live sand" is just sand :) It won't hurt to put it in your tank but don't pay live sand price.

Do you have a skimmer for the 55-gallon tank? If you do, I suggest running it while you are cycling the tank.

Do you have test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? That will enable you to monitor the cycle in the new tank.

Gary

The tank i bought came with a tester kit, but it is for fresh water. Does that matter? will it give me the same results.

I dont have a protein skimmer yet thats on the list of things to get.

Nope you need to get sw test kits. Api makes a reef master thats affordable and is great for beginners.

Don

You probably got the Ph test kit in the blue box and the Ammonia in the yellow box? Those are the most popular FW test kits and I believe they work for SW but I would replace them with a reliable kit when you have the chance.

I dont have a protein skimmer yet thats on the list of things to get.
Personally I wouldn't start to cycle a tank without a skimmer, but you can. You'll just have to do more water changes to keep the water quality up.

Back