Starting a LFS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hmmm...Don't know Jid. I'd probably ask my friend seeing they own one, but then again, I would never open one to compete against them. Are you thinking on opening one or doing an online pet shop? If you are thinking on doing an online one, then........I'll pm you with an idea:)

send it my way too Krish! I took some database classes and am building a server to implement some online streaming

oh yeah, two dual core AMD's and up to sixteen gigs of memory! I think I can handle anything I get thrown!

yeah, not amazon big, but anything on that sacle I would host. who wants the hassle? real-time video of my future seagrass bed, now that would be cool!

yeah, not amazon big, but anything on that sacle I would host. who wants the hassle? real-time video of my future seagrass bed, now that would be cool!

Sounds good man...BTW, who's thread is this??(LOL)

Thanks guys, looks like some good leads. When i do that thing called sleep and wakeup ill look into those links! I love you RF, nite nite!

WoW, that WWM is a great site, i did some research and talked to the one and only Bob Fenner himself. Thanks for the link, very helpful.

I still havent had time to get ahold of John, but im sure he will be very helpful as well, ive done biz with him and he is a great guy.

The only thing that isnt working in my favor is money, i have location/setup/personnel. I guess ill have to play the powerball. But on a serious note, what are the procedures to getting money for starting up a business, i know the basic rule, get a business plan and try to get a loan from the bank, but how about a little more detail than that.

Oh i wish you could Jake, but this is only a dream and a fun conversation to talk about, not really a reality! But you can be my partner!

I'd drop into the Kahuna corals sponsor forum and send Barry a PM. You're to far away to compete, so he might be willing to share, I think he's been in business for 8-9 months now...

I've got great respect for the investement my former employers at saltwater city had into the store just in time alone. They'll tell of this or that that went wrong or bad, and just keep doing it.

I think it takes a certain kind of person to do it. I could never do it, so many fish that come in just won't make it, and that hard, both financially and emotionally.

i was going to might do open a lfs it would have to be fresh salt and reptiles to get a good turn over
u would need a glazier a plumber a sparky and a good location
i think u would need about 3 months to cycle all ur tanks i would have mainly saltwater stuff a good amoutn of dry goods that all of u have accesse to but here in W.A. there hard to find theres only one place that carries seios
i think the best part of the lfs would be the display tank you would have u could have a nice big tank over a 1000liter (my fav lfs has 3 dislpays 1huge tank and two are on the same sump it has a 3rd little tank that had a harlequin shrimp very impressive seeing how u cant import inverts in to australia) the display tank would be the best part also offerning tank services check ups or dilverys u would be able to see other peoples displays

sorry for long post i have been thinking bout this for awhile

Back