Starting a new setup. Much help needed!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joker577

Ok my final decision stands here.
Selling my biocube for $300.
Purchasing a 75 Gallon Predrilled Perfecto reef ready tank with overflow kit for $270
Haven't decided on stand yet
Already have a sump/skimmer
I have a 48" T-8 setup with no lights in it and can house 4 T-8 bulbs...will this be enough light or even possibly to use? I can either do that or buy another 150W sunpod and do something with that so i'll have 2
What would be the best way to go on a small budget? I'm trying to keep it below 700$

Last edited:
Standard 75gal tanks are awesome tanks! They have one of the best dimensions IMO :) As for which direction you should go...What are your plans for the tank in terms of type of setup (eg FO, FOWLR etc)? :)

Well my plan is going from mini reef to BIG reef :D...the guy from the LFS recommended Perfecto over the others

What would be better the AGA or the Perfecto? I've heard perfecto's better but Idk? lol..please tell! As far as lighting im probably going to get a new ballast and rig something new with the 48" fixture I have. If not possibly do the 2 sunpods of 150W MH and rig those up.

I just googled Perfecto tanks and they look like they are basically All-Glass Aquariums! IMO, you can't go wrong with an All-Glass becasue they have been around forever and customers to my knowledge have always been happy. The only thing I've heard people complain about with the reef ready AGA's is the placement of the overflows leaving a kinda deadspot to the side, but I've seen some recently that my buddy who owns the LFS special ordered from AGA, and they all came with corner overflows which solves that problem. In any event, if the Perfecto is basically the same as the AGA's, then either way you will have a winner IMO :)

Hmm...T-8's I hardly know anything about. I've only ever used pc's and metal halides. I know when I had my 75gal though, I tossed around the idea of getting either dual 175w MH's or dual 250's and basically everyone said to go with the 250's otherwise I'd end up regretting it and I was glad I did. The 150's may be pushing it a tad bit, but it all depends on placement of the corals. High enough in the tank for the most light demanding corals and you should be good :)

Well I can make it anything I just need a new ballast...I need help finding ANY kind of lighting...cheap but MH setup for 48"

Basically I want to know what you guys would do for $375 or less with MH

Joker, the second light fixture looks just like the aquatraders.com light fixture. So much so that I think they are exact. There is also a difference in price! Also somewhere on reef frontiers site there is a nice review about it with lots of pictures. Good luck.

I could mount 2 24"s on legs...i'd just have to make something in the middle that my dad would help me with

Back