Starting a new setup. Much help needed!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lol yeah...I am going to sell my sunpod for 200$ so I am putting that toward the light

Yeah, zenon lights for luxury cars cost less... OK-have you tried hellolights.com? They have 250HQI retros for $135, but it does NOT include the bulb.

Thats cool, but dont make a split decision. I've been thinking about buying the 60" for a while now. So many decisions! Dont forget to read the review for this fixture on this site. I think if you use the word search (aquatraders or odyssea) function on this site you will find it. Best of luck!

HAHAHA... Im not trying to tell you what to buy! Like I said, I've been thinking hard about buying the 60" HQI from them. I bet the bulbs suck, but they are free, and money is a big issue. I'm going through the same trouble with lights as you are! I'm trying to set up a new 150 built into a wall from scratch. Im almost a year with planning in, and have no new equipment to show for it. You dont want to know my $$$$ projection for this new tank set up. Joker, I'll always be happy to help you but I have a huge job tomaro/today and I need sleep. Im sure someone else will speak up soon, if not I'll try to give you more ideas when I get home. The best plan is patience on this one!

Seems like some of the ballasts cost almost that much joker but I have just been casually looking around.

hmmm i guess ill have to dive in to the 48" group of people..... lol

i was still looking at an outta orbit 2x250 and 8 t5's

that would be more then enough to do what ever i want......

what size tank do you have? what do you want to keep.... Ive seen some nice t5 fixtures and rettro's but If i go and get another t5 setup... Im gonna be stuck where im at right now... just bigger and more exspensive.

Im gonna use that 45 breader for the sump and maybe plum a 55 in as well.... Im not sure...

make sure you take lots of pictures... i wanna see how ya do it... so i can get some ideas for myself...

(i was thinking 100lbs of live rock)

yes that last fixture is the same as the aquatraders odyssea light fixture,
your not going to find anything cheaper than that for sure, pretty good deal,
some people replace the ballasts though for better results because these are cheap chinese ballasts, but will still grow your corals just fine.
there free bulbs are crap too, but hell, they are free.

i am strongly considering getting the 48" 2x250MH sunpod...it's more expensive but it will keep my corals satisfied

Ok now basically...what I need help with is finding any MH pendants/systems that are 14000k for under $500. that's my lighting budget

lol joker, you must have had a good day today, last night you said you only wanted to spend 300-350, now your up to 500! Just wait until the end of the week-you will be getting one of those nice German fixtures for 1000+! HAHAHAHA

Well I'm only 16...and I'm sellling the sunpod for 200$ and my mom will go halves on the rest of the lighting cost

Awsome! The reason I have been leaning in the direction of the aquatrader light is that no matter what, it will put down an incredibe amount of light for a new tank, and even if the bulbs are compleat crap I will replace them in one years time when the tank starts to become very mature, and I'm able to introduce more demanding corals and clams. All that HQI is overkill for just soft coral anyway IMO.

Well I'll be needing that much light because i'll be keeping soft,lps, sps, and anemones

Well I believe i'm going to go with the sunpod...its 2x250MH 14000k plus all the lunar lights..it's $554.99 + 30$ shipping.

Back