Starting a new tank but not new to the hobby.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The flat discs work well for that too. I still on occasion stick one to the glass to see if I still have emerald crabs in my tank.. LOL
If you are really concerned about the cycle, spend the next few days ghost feeding the tank. Not a lot, just feed one maybe two imaginary fish... flake, pellets, whatever. Check your ammonia doesn't build. If it doesn't, you are good to go. That feeding will also more than likely ensure your clean up crew will have something to sustain themselves on by next weekend too, and if you are going to do the ghost feeding, that is when I would likely add them.
You've been through this before, right? Regardless, know that the algae is expected and prep yourself to be patient with it... and I know this sounds silly, but take some time to actually enjoy the algae. It can be interesting stuff when its a new tank thing and you know you don't likely have to start finding way to battle it.

I just checked my levels with my Red Sea test kits. Still no ammonia but there is about 10ppm of nitrates and 0 nitrites. Thanks for the input guys.

I was wondering if the Vortech MP10 is your only water movement or not? I am in the process of cycling a 40B as well and I will be using a Jebao WP 25 and am trying to figure out if I need more flow.

I was wondering if the Vortech MP10 is your only water movement or not? I am in the process of cycling a 40B as well and I will be using a Jebao WP 25 and am trying to figure out if I need more flow.

The MP10 along with what little flow comes from the return and that is all. I have a lot of surface agitation. I run the MP10 in reef crest mode. Was thinking about getting a second one to run master/slave config.

I like a good, hard cycle with constant ghost feeding as was mentioned. I like to see like 1.5 to 2ppm ammonia,same nitrite, and near the end nitrates above 40. that way when I see zero on the ammonia and nitrite....and see the nitrates starting to come down, you can always do a mass water change at that point.....and add a bunch of fish at once. I also cycle with lights off so as to not encourage algae.

with a lite cycle such as yours just take it slow with adding fish is all.

I agree on the hard cycle, but because you have some life to the rock in there now, I (personally) wouldn't chase it, and just work with what you have.. with caution. :)

I tried the lite cycle approach on mine, which only took me a couple weeks to cycle, which scared me as well... after that I added a pair of Tank bred Clowns, to continue to strengthen my bacteria...everything seems to be doing well. Im probably crazy or too rookie to know better though...

Checked my parameters again and this is where I stand:
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- .2
Nitrate- 10
Alk- 8.3
P.H.- 8.2
Waiting on my Hanna Checker for my Cal. I also saw some life in my tank yesterday. Can anyone tell me what this is? IMG_3327.jpg IMG_3334.jpg Thanks

Well I just had a set back. Luckily there were no expensive animals in the tank at the time. My Hydor ATO kept topping off. Luckily my wife was at home to make sure it didn't get too out of hand. So my tank is now saturated with freshly made RO/DI water. Looks like I'll be waiting a little longer now before I can add anything. So, what should I do? When I get evaporation, should I top off with salt water to get my salinity back up. I didn't check it yet, but about 5 gallons from my reservoir was dumped into my system.

Well my parameters look to be ready for the next step.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5
Alk-7.5
Cal-464(I may have to recheck this. think I made a mistake when adding my SW)
PH-8.0
Salinity-1.022(Trying to get it back up after my ATO mishap)
What do you guys think? CUC? Fish?

Ya I'd just top off with sw.
U can take a cpl cups out and replace with higher salinity.
How big tank?! Again, I'd just top off with sw.

Also u can start adding to your tank. Maybe ten days in between stocking for now.
D

Ok thanks. Tank is a 40B with 20L sump.
Ya I'd just top off with sw.
U can take a cpl cups out and replace with higher salinity.
How big tank?! Again, I'd just top off with sw.

Also u can start adding to your tank. Maybe ten days in between stocking for now.
D

Back