Starting another tank after having aquarium fire

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

realranger

Two weeks ago, I experienced the unbelievable with my 125 reef tank. At 6:30 AM one of 5 powerheads overheated. The above water hanger portion caught fire. The fire traveled up the electrical cord and then ignited the plastic molding/trim on top of the tank. After burning through the hanger, the powerhead sank to the bottom, continueing to pump out black toxic water. My partner happended to be awake, for some reason not able to sleep. From the downstairs office room he heard some stange noise and came upstairs to find the fire.

I lost 3/4 of the fish in the tank. The live rock now appears to be dying. I am also experiencing a cyno bacteria bloom. I did huge 48 gallon water change the morning of the fire. I have done small water changes every two days since. I have replaced all carbon in both fluval 404's twice. Does anyone have any advice at this point?

Also I have ordered (and back ordered) a 180 Aqueon reef ready tank, sump refugium, skimmer and return pump. The old tank was a simple set up with only a back pack skimmer, the two fluvals, 5 power heads, and 100 lbs of live rock. Very soon, hopefully depending on the back order, I will be setting up the new tank. I is a bit scarey since I have never done the sump etc thing. I will be posting asking for advice and help.

BTW, the manufacturer is examining the powerhead and appears that they are going to cover the damage. Time will tell.

man i have a few situations where i get smoke but luckily my tank is in my busniess so people were around to shut it off

That's a real bummer, sorry to hear about it. I think that everyone who stays with this hobby long enough experiences an electrical fire or near miss. Other than finding a new brand of powerhead I don't really know what to tell you. I would definitely let that LR cycle and cure for a while; if you're running a sand bed, probably ditch it. The addition of a sump to your new system is going to open up all sorts of doors equipment wise and you'll probably soon wonder how you ever did this all without one. Don't know if you're comfortable divulging, but what brand of powerhead was it?

I have a huge live rock rubbermaid container 4ftx3ft if ya need a holding tank to swap your stuff.. and a huge skimmer to get your rock to kick back in....

Powerhead Aquarium Fire

Good Day,

I'm interested in learning more details about your fire. Do you have any photos? Who was the pump manufacturer? Did they cover your losses? I'm an engineer conducting an investigation on a similar aquarium fire (likely started by a MaxiJet powerhead) and would like to discuss further.

Thanks,
Craig

Good Day,

I'm interested in learning more details about your fire. Do you have any photos? Who was the pump manufacturer? Did they cover your losses? I'm an engineer conducting an investigation on a similar aquarium fire (likely started by a MaxiJet powerhead) and would like to discuss further.

Thanks,
Craig

This post was months ago but regardless, IF your looking for information involving a lawsuit I'd ask to keep it off our site.
Feel free to PM me directly If necessary.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back