starting corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks for the reply Tigershark.
So, what sort of problems could I expect from a DSB? I do plan on keeping the bio load way down.

Most of the benefits of a DSB are the result of all the infauna that populate the bed and allow it to function efficiently. A 29gal is a little too small for the infauna populations to prosper. Ron Shimek is considered the expert on DSB's by many people and he believes that a 36x12 footprint is the minimum needed to establish reasonably stable infauna populations. Check out his forum on Reef Central and do a search on nano reefs and DSB's to learn for yourself. Many of the bad stories you hear about DSB's come out of hobbyists doing them incorrectly. Too small of a footprint for your tank will lead to a greatly shortened DSB lifespan with a traumatic crash likely.
LOL

In my opinion, a big problem with DSB's is that people load up their tank too quickly. It can take months for the infauna population to develop to a large-enough extent to properly process waste. In the mean time, people tend to add fish (and other waste producers) at a relatively rapid rate. Though the bacteria necessary for simple nitrogen processing can multiply fairly quickly, the animals that will deal with more complex organics take longer. So the unprocessed organics can accumulate (in the sandbed) in what has been called a "ticking time bomb".

In my opinion, sandbeds must be allowed to mature before fish (and most other anumals) are added. Even the modest clean-up crew additions can probably overwhelm a young sandbed.

So, if you want a tank looking nice in a short amount of time (months, not years), skip the sandbed, and have high-enough waterflow to keep detritus in suspension so that it can be removed from the main tank and collected in a filter sock, etc. in the sump.

That said, I consider the presence of a sandbed to be an important factor in my ability to keep thriving alveoporas. I believe it is the nutrients now coming out of my sandbed which keep them growing, as I do not feed them directly.

Thanks for the advice Don. I guess I will just hurry up and wait. And try to find a home for these lovely brown zoanthids.

tigershark, my system is set up in the basement inwhich this time of year stays pretty cool. the tank has been steady at around 78 degrees. in the summer this room also stays pretty cool. i run the air conditioner during the day and the nights on the mountain i live upon generally stay pretty cool as well. low 60's. I have two back overflows about three inches from the corners. i have no idea what the maximum flow rate is for them. I will try to contact the manufacturer to find out and let you know. i appreciate the link to that tank. steve

LarryB regarding the sand bed thing. Your tank is borderline too small to maintain decent infauna populations long term. Waiting probably won't help much. One thing you could consider is regular puchases of detritivour kits and or live mud/sand. These are Shimek's opinions I am just parroting here. I never had a DSB less than 100gal myself. However, many reefers consider him the expert, me included. I highly recommend checking out his forum, maybe asking him what he thinks of your situation.

tigershark, my inlets are 1" and the returns are 3/4". the overflows are around 12" each. I would think it should be able to handle quite a bit more flow.

Are the inlet bulkheads 1" bulkheads? Or is the inside of the bulkhead 1"? Hope there are multiple inlets, as 1" is kind of small.

yes the insides are 1" . they run to the sump with a pool type hose. All of the plumbing is also 1" inside diameter pvc. the 1" is reduced with a hose connection to3/4" inside diameter hose for the returns. I emailed the manufacturer about the water flow. they replied with, all of thier tanks are 7-10. so a 140 gallon would be 980 gph to 1400 gph. curious as to if i could down the road hook up an external overflow to the sump and use an internal pump like the sen or mag to pump it back just for more flow?

The 1" inside diameter drain hole will max out at about 400-500 gph, so you are probably looking at a return rate of 900-1,000 gph.

Since you already have built-in overflows, if you want more flow in the future it might be easier to do a closed-loop system. Use an external pump with the inlet being a pipe with a strainer that extends down into the tank. (or a smaller internal pump in the tank, behind some rockwork) The returns can then be whatever you want.

A closed loop is where the water comes out of your tank straight to a pump and pumped straight back in for water circulation it does not go to a sump or any filter. If your tank can be drilled then you would drill seperate holes for in and out maybe 2 each at each side depends on pump/flow desired :)

In another thread, Scooterman mentioned that he had installed an "over-the-top" closed loop system (as opposed to a drilled system). You could PM him for details.

Yea, That would seem to be pvc pipes inside the tank instead of holes in/thru the tank
having the same purpose for circulation, many ways to do it.

how about using a submersible pump and pvc to create an oval all the way around the top of the tank and drill it like a spray bar. would i lose alot of flow that way, as compared to teeing off to a few straight out returns?

Back