Starting fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yes, more info on what your setup consists of. Is this going to be fish only? A reef tank? SPS? LPS? Softies? Where do you want to see the tank in say 3 years?

Start with fish. Moving into reef i guess.

Ok, those will, or can be, 2 drastically different tank setups. So I would ask what is your current equipment list? If your goal is a full blown reef setup with lots of SPS, then there are some things you will need to be set up for, like do you have a spot for a skimmer for your tank size and bio-load, will your tank dimensions work with the lighting requirements for SPS if that is your goal? How about flow? Think a bit about reverse engineering your tank and go from there. This will require a lot of research, much of which can be done in the tank design forum and Member showcase forum by seeing how others have set up there tanks.

From the simplest perspective, some rock and sand and a couple power heads if you like will be sufficient for a fish only tank. Even that can be too simplistic though if you start out with fish that will ultimately not be compatible in a reef aquarium or are not good community fish if that is your end goal.
If I were to recommend good community fish that would be probably acceptable in a reef tank as well, I would look at:
  • Clown Fish (A. Percula or A. Ocellaris)
  • Royal Gramma
  • gobies
  • Blennies
  • smaller Wrasses

my favorite overall fish are clownfish

Yes, a clown fish is a pretty hardy fish as a first addition. Also, a small blenny, such as a tailspot, would make a good first addition, and since we do not know the tank size, both "should" be fine in any tank larger than a 20 gallon. Neither above fish should cause any future problems with any corals.

Just take your time and figure out what your eventual goals for the tank are. If you are going to go reef, either a softy tank or a sps tank, make sure you don't put any fish in that will eat your future corals. Also don't put any fish in that will eventually outgrow your tank either. Removing fish in a nicely setup tank with a bunch of live rock is never a fun task, and I mean never!

Good luck, and take your time!

Back