Starting to think about SPS Corals.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

finkebluetang

Hey all I had my tank for almost 4 years and I was wondering what SPS Coral do you start with and what steps do you need to take to keep it healthy. I am getting new lights for SPS but wondering how to do this kind of Coral can any one help me?

What type of lights do you currently have? What are the other tank inhabitants? What type of flow does you tank have?

Just wanting to help get a understanding of your current setup.

Hello,
Montipora digitata is a great starter SPS coral. It does well under VHO's, HO T-5's, PC's or metal halide lighting.
Nitrates 20ppm or less.
Calcium 400ppm
Alkalinity 3meq/L (9dkH)
Magnesium 1200ppm
Temp. 76-82F
Water flow low to high.

HTH,
Kevin

ok my tank is a 125 gallon if I get this all together what you said kevin. How many water changes a week do I need to do. To get SPS Corals growing and what do I feed them.

I do 20% water changes once a month unless nitrates are over 10ppm in which case I increase the frequency until the nitrates drop.

I do not specifically feed SPS corals or add anything above what I listed above.

Regards,
Kevin

I've found my monitpora capricornis (monti cap) very easy to keep. Requires moderate light and good flow.

Montipora digitata was mentioned and Montipora Cap. that one can grow to look like lettuce. I am growing it under p.c.'s and 20ppm nitrates in a 55gal. tank that has 9 fish. One yellow tang a pair of A.O. clowns four chromis, one coral beauty angel and a blenny. I also have two scarlet crabs and lots of copopods, amphopods and other little critters. My tank is well seasoned. Oh and I have medium to high flow in the tank. ( a couple of powerheads pushing around 900 gph(a guess) and my filter that goes through a mini-sump , bacpac hang-on skimmer and back out at 480gph (aprox.). Well that is my humble experience. I will try to post a pic. later.

Both Seriatopora hystrix and S. caliendrum require higher light and better water quality. I would consider them borderline beginner type corals. To keep the bright pink color moderate light is required. The Porites corals are another easy to keep group. Pocillipora is another good group.

HTH,
Kevin

Back