Starting up reef tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
Ok so i know what light im getting so thats taken care of.

Its a 29 gal tank.
2 false percula clowns
2 peppermint shrimp
2 nass snails
2 blue leg hermits
1 kenya tree

Bak Pak 2 bio filter protien skimmer
2 korilia #2
30 lbs live rock
30 lbs very fine live sand

Been running i would say 7 weeks now.

What i need to know is what do i need to test for water wise? Besides the normal, PH, Amona, trite, trate.

What suplements do i need to add?

Im just buying evrything today and im going to practice for a little while befor i buy any corals. I want to make sure i have the hang of taking care of the water befor i buy any corals.

Thanks.

Ok so i know what light im getting so thats taken care of.

Its a 29 gal tank.

Been running i would say 7 weeks now.

What i need to know is what do i need to test for water wise? Besides the normal, PH, Amona, trite, trate.

What suplements do i need to add?

Im just buying evrything today and im going to practice for a little while befor i buy any corals. I want to make sure i have the hang of taking care of the water befor i buy any corals.

Thanks.

I think your test kits are probably fine until you want to add corals. Then you want phospate and calcium test kits. You should probably get phospate test kit now. As your tank ages, phospates can slowly rise and algae usually becomes an issue for everyone at some point.

Same with supplements. For now, you are probably fine just doing water changes every 2-4 weeks. Your salt mix contains all of the trace elements you need for a FOWLR tank. Once you add corals, there are dozens of opinions as to what supplements you need and people have had success with all of them. Assuming you do regular water changes, the only critical supplement is Calcium via a reactor, kalkwasser or several different supplement options.

don't mix soft corals with hard corals. you can mix large polyp stony corals to some degree but as a rule of thumb "if the flesh can be ripped off in a storm it probably belongs behind the surf wall"

Back