Stevens 55 Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sedrostyle

Thought I'd post a downer to start it out. I went to take out the actual camera because I was going to have access to a computer, come to find out m camera has a spec of dirt inside the lense. (face palm)
It's either that or I forgot how to use my camera because I couldn't even get the camera to zoom in and take nice ones.
On top of that the battery's died.
So that's my lame story. I will get it figured out tomorrow and take pictures whether it be from a phone or my camera.

Details.
Started my 29 gallon in January of 2012. Started adding things end of february, I have this date on my calender, for my tanks birthday when I did my first water change after everything cycled
It's now a 55 gallon tank drilled bottom with a in tank overflow
It also has a 20 gallon sumpfuge down below.
Swapped everything from the 29 and another 20 I had in September of 2012.

I have a tunze 9005 skimmer ( hate it )
There is also a ehiem can filter two stage I believe running puregen and other bagged filters.
And currently a little carbon
I'm pretty sure there is 75lbs of rock in the tank.
I have dragons breath down in the sump and some dying cheato. I need more.

It's currently under four t5 lights

I have a Maxijet 1200 and I want to do this mod I found.
Also have a hydor 750

Uhh a heater of course. I have to think about it. I'll get on the computer and try to do pictures in a bit. If not tomorrow.
:) sorry for the teaser. I'll figure out the camera soon.

What kind of camera? What kind of light cycle do you have over the cheato? My 55g was my best tank, untill i got the 215g last year. Sounds like a nice tank. Also sounds like you need a better skimmer...lol. If you were closer, id let you take a few shots with my camera.

I have a canon s3 is.
The cheato is on a opposite cycle. My lights are on from 1130 till 8pm So whatever that is. :)
My camera lady was saying something about glare and polarised lenses.
Shes a big photography person lol

Ugh it upsets me when it doesnt work right.

I want a 150+ something wider at least. 12" sucks. And I want to stay under 5 feet in length. So wider it is, because I don't want to swim more than I already do. :D

I upgraded to a hydor 1200 today from the 750, I think I have a lot of dead spots or diterious. I was blowing off my rocks today and hit a spot behind things. And poof my tank was clouded.
I only have a one inch maybe 2 sanded. And I usually stir it from time to time. But haven't lately.

I may be getting a reeflo from kitsapdan tomorrow. I'll post up pictures when I do. Wife has some things to do tonight for work so I won't have the phone.

Steven

There Is a orange and yellow scroll coral ( that's what I was told. A guy had one just like it. )
Purple stylophra and a green stylophra
Another green ish sps I got from Pisces ( have to ask her again )
A Yuma that I've fragged once and now the dad has 3 baby's.
One polyp of purple people eater
Radio dragon eyes.
Pink and gold zoas.
Bob Moore Acro
Blue tort Acro
2 yellow sets of zoas. They look similar but are from two different peoples tanks.
A Kenya tree baby that when my 10" on melted one day I ended up with this one after pulling the melted ick out.
A white tip leather coral
Hammer Lps
Chips acro
Birds of paradise sps
Some orange looking magician zoas
Orange base green skirt zoas.
A single head of a Duncan.
Lots of green goblins.
Some bam bam looking zoas
Also some other green ish zoas that are my favorite so far ( that I have )
Haven't found a fitting name for them yet.
Some really cool orange mouthed but green body and skirt zoas. I rescued them. Hoping they pull through.
12 snails.
5 hermits.
Fine black sand which I love to hate :)
Specially with this new 1200 I got. I really have sand banks. :)
Purple tang ( my favorite )
Regular clown fish. ( nemo )
A 3 stripe damsel. ( jailbait )
And a hippo tang I am housing for a friend of mine. ( dori )

Had a sail fin blenny. He passed recently :( will be getting another.
Had a lickinia blue starfish. He was a beauty. Had him for 8 months or so. They I guess don't have very long life spans in aquariums. Probably will get another. Everyone loved him

Also had a green mandrin that I fought over at BRAs sale they had. I mistakenly Put a powerhead too close to the rock after it falling and it got him :(
Will have another. They're beautiful too

As far as plans go. It's all up to funds. I would like a bigger tank. 150+ range.
I am going to get OBD LEDs after taxes. Was going to build my own but hey, why DIY when you have those guys complete setup and perfect specturm

Planning on going more towards sps tank

Well see :) also a nano 2 or 4 gallon are in the future for some prize zoas :) agraves, utter chaos, and some other beauts.
Thanks guys and gals. I will update frequently as I like to see other peoples tanks progress and I'm sure you all do too.
Seems like a lot now that I type it all out lol
Steven.

Last edited:
Sounds like a sweet tank! Can't wait to see it, I like the black sand look I almost went with it however I hate fine sand as well.

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

awwhw only 5 pics per post... ill have to do more :D

IMG_2593.jpg

this would be the gang at the moment :D

thanks for looking.
Sorry the pictures uploaded funny, but now you all see :D
:clap2:

Love the tang and corals! What fixture are you running? The tank is coming along nicely, sounds like you did the same kinda thing I did 2 smaller tanks to a larger one. I'll give you a fist size piece of cheato if you want it PM me.

yeah they seem to love the camera. They definitly know when its me around the tank. They follow me.
I did combine two tanks into one.
Then I set my buddy up with my 29 from scratch, all my rock my lights and stuff. He seems to like it, except he's on well water and seems to keep having problems with things
idk I've never had that much bad luck, and I told him everything I know :/

I don't know what fixture it is I am running, I know its not enough. I've been planning leds almost since day one of my 29 when I started ordering stuff.
Was going to build a rapid led kit for myself, but I am going OBD.

Your tank and everything looks great! My fish know when its me when im around too. Specialy at feeding time, oh and when its cleaning time...lol. Its like they see me coming with the step ladder. There all out and about one minute, i turn the corner with the ladder then...POOF...fish are GONE! Its pretty funny. My sailfin and hippo tangs have been eating out of my hand off and on for the last week. Theyre taking to it pretty quick. What kind of light are you using for your cheato? Reason im asking, you can try doing a 24hr light cycle. I was having problems with mine awhile back and switched to 24hr and havent had a problem since.

yeah they seem to love the camera. They definitly know when its me around the tank. They follow me.
I did combine two tanks into one.
Then I set my buddy up with my 29 from scratch, all my rock my lights and stuff. He seems to like it, except he's on well water and seems to keep having problems with things
idk I've never had that much bad luck, and I told him everything I know :/

I don't know what fixture it is I am running, I know its not enough. I've been planning leds almost since day one of my 29 when I started ordering stuff.
Was going to build a rapid led kit for myself, but I am going OBD.

I need to upgrade as well I'm running 4x65w PC Coralife, while everything seems happy but the LEDs are most definetly the way to go the shimmer is awesome, the colors pop more and of course the intensity, I was kind of torn between the OBD and the Kessil A350W as they are about the same price but I'm kinda leaning toward the OBD now.

What kind of light are you using for your cheato? Reason im asking, you can try doing a 24hr light cycle. I was having problems with mine awhile back and switched to 24hr and havent had a problem since.

I have a 6500 led bulb I think it is from lowes.
It's a flood light style. Stays cool to the touch tho. I accidentally touched it the other day thinking oww but I could actually grab it.
Take it out and clean the crud off.

I did try a 24 hr cycle, my dragons breath seems to like it haha. It's way big now. Y cheato is MIA I think right now.
It got tore up so much, I put him in a bottle for a month. No recovery. So I took it out and set it behind the return. Then in a baffle.
I just haven't looked around lately for it.

I didn't know they had power compacts that long. I have a little 24" two bulber that was on my 20 gallon i got
It needs bulbs bad. That why I want to go LEDs. No changing of bulbs. Dimmable. Colors pop. And super growth.
Even tho I've never had metal halide. Nor would I want to with the power bill :$

Thanks for the comments guys. It's all started from tiny frags.
Except for the big hammer coral I have. He's been donated.

if ur tolking about the big green coral its no hammer its a metalic frogspawn. that i can tell from the pics

Got a few new things at the meet... heres a quick video...
little treat going in. :D:D

Also I need to figure out how to take pictures again :) but this will work.
Also most stuff I got was under LEDS so im sad to say now their under t5s... for now... and so the colors aren't as great but you get the picture.
for now :)
All the chalices are new, except the orange and yellow scroll.
All the acans are new.
Some SPS I had.
Steven

Last edited:
Really...thats all you have to say! Just "Got a few new things".
Want to elaborate on that statement? LOL!

Back