Stingray reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I do all of the maintenance. I'm one of those guys that can't sit still so it sure doesn't bother me.

The VOLCANOE skimmer is made by aquatic acrylics. The guys name is spazz and his number is 612-387-7377. I have all of his stuff and can vouch for him 100%. He sells reactors, skimmers, sumps and does custom tank builds and installs. I know he is working on a high end, public project right now but if you want something get on the list as soon as you can. I can say with certantity that his skimmers have saved my tank from a major crash on 2 occasions.

Energy,
Glad to see you over hear. Like Todd, (Disturbed Reefer), I've followed your tank thread over on RC. Very impressive! Just out of curiousity, where did you get the Fiddler ray from?
Also imressed with the skimmer. All that crap and only uses 190 watts???? What kind of pumps are you using for that?
Nick

i have seen your thread in RC too :D .

i'm still jelous dood !! :p:D ... you seriously got an awesome tank..... it makes my tank feel very tiny :lol:.

please keep posting pictures !!

"how many hours do you swim in your tank?"

Rather, whats the going rate to swim in your tank for an hour? =P

The black tang is actually the largest fish in the tank. It's about the size of a dinner plate.
I only swam in the tank one time when I was initially placing the live rock in the back areas to form the caves.
The tank is on the main floor of the house. it weighs approximately 14 tons. The area directly under the tank is built similar to an attached garage. it is a solid 6" concrete floor. I put in 8 foot frost footings and compacted approximately 144 tons of sand to support the slab directly beneath the tank.

cool tank! How many gallons is just your tank? I hope you live next to the ocean to have that much live rock and corals because I would hate to think how much you have invested in this system. I have only a 240 gallon with a 40 gallon sump and 30 gallon fuge and I have an arm and leg invested so I would hate to have your coral bill not to mention your salt mixture bill or you electric bill because your lighting must really be alot of wattage.

The black tang is actually the largest fish in the tank. It's about the size of a dinner plate.
I only swam in the tank one time when I was initially placing the live rock in the back areas to form the caves.
The tank is on the main floor of the house. it weighs approximately 14 tons. The area directly under the tank is built similar to an attached garage. it is a solid 6" concrete floor. I put in 8 foot frost footings and compacted approximately 144 tons of sand to support the slab directly beneath the tank

WWOOUU DOOD!!!
well your tang kicks so much butt :D.
so.... how do you frag stuff :lol: ? i mean i'm sure with some tools but if you're working with the bottom corals, how do you do it ? :D .

and please keep posting pics !! let us drool !!

danny240 its illegale to collect corals from the wild with out a permit in 95% of countrys

this is a great tank ive only seen black tangs in my lfs display tank and the price he said they were worth was way out of my budget

why did u need to make a concrete slab for the tank dont they build house in america on concrete slabs? i know like everyone in america has a basement and u can get them here and if u did u would get a concrete slab for the first floor and second floor too, i only ask because i work on new houses everyday and in westen australia we have the best built houses in the world not many places in the world build double brick houses
u can make over $10000 a week laying concrete slabs here if u own a bussiness
sorry to get a bit off track there its justid hate to be living in america and thinking setting up my large cuttlefish tank would mean worrying about where it can be placed in the house

excellent tank mate and keep up the good work

Questions about the skimmer are best answered by the manufacturer. I might give wrong info by accident. I put his phone number down on the first page.
Morgan- This house has a basement with 9' walls. The only part without a basement is directly under the fish tank. That is the area that is slab on grade.

Energy - I love your tank.

why did u need to make a concrete slab for the tank dont they build house in america on concrete slabs?

I can't speak for the whole country but here on the West Coast of the USA (in earthquake country) I think most new construction is built on concrete footings with a crawlspace instead of a concrete slab. It is much easier to work on your plumbing if you have a crawlspace. Brick homes in this area are hideously expensive to insure so you will not see very many but they are common in other parts of the country that are not built up around fault lines. Basements are more common in some parts of the US than others depending on the water table and if the weather conditions favor tornadoes for parts of the year.

In a nutshell I will be reinforcing my floor if my next tank gets too grandiose.:evil:

This is a picture facing the cave opening on the right side of the tank.
IMG_2335.jpg
[/IMG]

Back