Stocking Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Burrower

Now that my tank is cycled and stable (Ammonia, Nitrites both zero, pH 8.2, SG 1.023, Nitrates <5ppm, temp 78-80) we're ready to start adding a few fish. I was wanting feedback on how many fish are safe to introduce at the same time. In the long run, this will be a reef tank, but for the time being, it has nothing in it but 70lbs live rock and a cleanup crew of snails (Trochus, Nerite, Strombus), 10 or so microhermits, small clams in the 1"sand bed, etc.

In the near future I would like to add fish to the tank..a diverse array that will help to balance the system out and have species that utilize various regions of the aquarium (fish that dwell near bottom, on rocks, in caves, and swim around, e.g.)

We're fairly certain we would like to add a few (3?) chromis (blue green or blue reef), a pair of Banggai Cardinals, a blenny (lawnmower or starry), a firefish (or purple firefish), a royal gramma, a pair of Ocellaris clownfish, and perhaps another small goby.

The tank is 65 gallons. If we put the above in, do you think it would be too much for the tank? Obviously, we wouldn't add all of them at once! But in our initial stocking, should we stick with one species at a time, starting wth the shy ones, or would it be feasible to add two or more at once (e.g. get the chromis and blenny together, for example)

I appreciate your feedback!

Last edited:
Congrats on the tank being "cycled"! I'd probably start with the 3 chromis first and see how they do or even the pair of clowns. They are both hardy fish and I always say, put the hardiest in first and see how they do. Just my 2 cents...Best of luck!:)

If it were my tank, then I'd stick with adding one species at a time. Allowing the tank some time to adjust to the new bioload before adding the next. I would also start out with the clowns.

On the lawnmower blenny, be sure you have an adequate food source, or be sure it is eating prepared foods. If it isn't, then once your tank algae is gone, the blenny will starve.

I would urge caution on the firefish as well. Eventually the tank will have some fairly active fish and they will not usually do well under those circumstances. . The clowns, chromis or similar will freighten this species very easily. Dartfish in general do better in small groups and with very docile tank mates. The Gramma is a little "iffy" but should be okay and the Banggai's are fine.

Make sure the lawnmower is one of the last additions if at all. Do not take Nikki's warning lightly. :cool:

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the replies. In the past I have had good success with blennies, but it certainy won't hurt to see how the algal populations balances out over time with my current clean up crew. As it is right now, I think I would have a rather plump, lethargic blenny! :)

Back