Stocking suggestions for school

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey krish that is not your hand. That is a working hand in that pic.

LOL...I work very hard man!:p Don't mind the post count.(LOL) I'm very good at what I do and don't need to guess or waste time which gives me good RF time sometimes in the day after I've finished my work or in between overseeing things:D

That one little fish would destroy even the biggest fish you'd keep in a reef tank, that is how they grow so fast!

The deal with chromis [and most fish] is that they do not school well unless under threat. IE, if you have a nasty blue velvet damsel to rush about and nip stragglers, they will school everywhere.

Schooling is more of an 'us against it' response. If you want a pretty blue fish to flit back and forth, a single chromis will do it and leave everyone else alone.

Chromis will attack each other and reduce numbers until they're comfortable with their environment size. This, in a smaller tank, is about one, maybe 3. Seven, I fear, is going to see some attrition. I love them, but only the dominant tends to have the really high color, so one is probably the best answer, IMHO. It's what I have.

I would suggest the cardinal. They school together great and look cool IMO. I lost all of mine for some reason though. I was told that i may have had a aggressive male that killed them all. They did school together well though.

Scoot, are you sure the 5" fish might not have been a marginated damsel? They can look identical to some chromis species except for size.

Cheers
Steve

what about bar gobies. they really cool when they school. yeah these guys school dont just hang out togather.

Steve it was at the Dallas aquarium & labeled that way, so you may be correct, I read schooling chromis does tend to grow larger also. I think blue/green chromis can be easily confused.

Back