stocking

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

insanity4224

Hey, i have refined my stocking list for my future 250gal reef to the following spp.:

1x rabbit (s. vulpinas)
1x bluechin Trigger
1x goldstripe maroon/spine cheek
1x dwarf fuzzy lion
2x wantanabe angel: mated pair
1x either purple tang OR powder blue
1x leopard wrasse
1x harlequin tusk

I beleive this is a suitable stocking list (although a bit on the heavy side) with all spp. generally being compatible with each other as well as the inverts i plan to keep. All will be quarantined for at least 4 weeks each with hypo-salinaty treatment according to quarantine articles from both reefkeeping.com and advancedaquarist.com.

I am tossing up between the powder blue and the purple tang and i am aware of the implications concerning the powderblue.

Basically i would like input of ANY concerns, comments, ideas or confermation please.

-Jason:)

4.gif

I see nothing wrong with your choices in terms of compatibility. Personal preference though I would choose the Purple tang over the Powder blue.

The only concern I have is what you mean by compatible inverts?
The harlequin, dwarf, leopard and trigger can be a concern with mobile types.

Cheers
Steve

<Personal preference though I would choose the Purple tang over the Powder blue.>

Any particular reason why? or is it just looks because thats what i'm choosing on...

<The only concern I have is what you mean by compatible inverts?
The harlequin, dwarf, leopard and trigger can be a concern with mobile types.>

My tank will be sps dominated with some soft and lps corals + anemones... no shimps or anything of that type because i am fully aware that they will be eaten! I will add some mobile inverts but none of these are on the menu.

I will be running a couple of sumps one with refugium and the other will be water treatment/filtration.

I have one more important question... what ORDER from first to last would you place these fish in the tank (assume 4-6 weeks quarentine)?

Thanks VERY much for your service and welcoming me to your online community!

This order...

1x leopard wrasse
1x dwarf fuzzy lion
2x wantanabe angel: mated pair
1x harlequin tusk
1x goldstripe maroon/spine cheek
1x rabbit (s. vulpinas)
1x either purple tang OR powder blue
1x bluechin Trigger

Keep a careful watch on the trigger & harlequin with the lion. There is a tendancey to nip long flowing fins.

<Personal preference though I would choose the Purple tang over the Powder blue.>

Any particular reason why? or is it just looks because thats what i'm choosing on...
Temperment and "majesty" if you will. The purple tang is far more relaxed and not as nervous a fish as the powder blue. It can make the difference in enjoying the fish from ease of care, not simpley color. Besides, if properly fed/cared for, the puple tangs colors will really pop in a reef tank.

My tank will be sps dominated with some soft and lps corals + anemones... no shimps or anything of that type because i am fully aware that they will be eaten! I will add some mobile inverts but none of these are on the menu.
No anemones and rethink the soft corals in a "SPS" type dominated tank. They do not mix well no matter the tank size. Growth and color will be limited by toxins emitted by the soft corals. Limit the amounts and types of "LPS" type corals.

Cheers
Steve

watch out for the purple tangs, i had one(i think it was it should have been in a mental hospital) that would litterly kill anything that i put in the tank. he even killed a fairy wrasse once....they look nothing alike!!! i dont know if they are all like that, but i hope you have good luck.

>No anemones and rethink the soft corals in a "SPS" type dominated tank. They do not mix well no matter the tank size. Growth and color will be limited by toxins emitted by the soft corals. Limit the amounts and types of "LPS" type corals.<

There will only be a few LPS corals as i said. However i do not agree with you when it comes to 'no anemones' because i have good experience with these and fully understand their mobile and stinging abilities. I have observed anemone 'attacks' on corals in my current tank and these always only last for a couple of days, also the corals recover all lost flesh within a week. Not to mention my clown will be much happier with his natural host.

I don't mean to be argumentive:) to each his own and once again thankyou for your help and advice. BTW i have decided to get the purple tang instead of the powderblue. Do you think i would be pushing it too far to add an achillies tang to my list(i do... just being hopefull)?

-jason

>No anemones and rethink the soft corals in a "SPS" type dominated tank. They do not mix well no matter the tank size. Growth and color will be limited by toxins emitted by the soft corals. Limit the amounts and types of "LPS" type corals.<

There will only be a few LPS corals as i said. However i do not agree with you when it comes to 'no anemones' because i have good experience with these and fully understand their mobile and stinging abilities. I have observed anemone 'attacks' on corals in my current tank and these always only last for a couple of days, also the corals recover all lost flesh within a week
Acroporid's regaining flesh in a few days after being pelted with nematocysts? Really? Please share!!

Not to mention my clown will be much happier with his natural host.
The clown doesn't need it, nor does it care.

Do you think i would be pushing it too far to add an achillies tang to my list(i do... just being hopefull)?
At present I do not think this type of a special needs fish is within your ability to keep and something you might look to for the future. Once your tank has the livestock previously discussed, sit back and look at whether that or a different fish might be a better fit. Might find it's just right without anything.

Cheers
Steve

<Acroporid's regaining flesh in a few days after being pelted with nematocysts? Really? Please share!!>

sorry dude i was referring to a brain coral and another couple of lps i have, didn't explain properly.

<At present I do not think this type of a special needs fish is within your ability to keep and something you might look to for the future. Once your tank has the livestock previously discussed, sit back and look at whether that or a different fish might be a better fit. Might find it's just right without anything.>

I wasn't set on that spp. it was more to see if another fish of that size would be considered overstocking. I think i will just stick with the fish already on the list, no impulse buys!

-jason

<Acroporid's regaining flesh in a few days after being pelted with nematocysts? Really? Please share!!>

sorry dude i was referring to a brain coral and another couple of lps i have, didn't explain properly.
Truely, the types of corals being attacked does not make much difference. Some recover some don't but what you don't see is the chemical onslought. Soft and "LPS" type being the absolute worst of them. Please do a thorough read on allelopathy and you'll get some idea of what I am saying to you. While you may or may not see physical death, your animals are being hurt on a regular basis.

Cheers
Steve

i hear achilles tangs are pretty difficult to keep, although i have never had one

Ok so definatly no softies but there is nothing wrong with keeping LPS corals as long as they cannot touch anything. personal rock islands on the sand bed sounds pretty good...

Back