Stomatopod (Mantis Shrimp) Workshop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
I am going to be putting on a workshop on Stomatopods (commonly called mantis shrimp). I really liked the way that Elmo ran his clownfish workshop and I'm going to run this workshop copying his method shamelessly. :D What this means is that after each section, I will put up a post indicating that the topic is finished. Please hold questions until after each section is completed.

We will be discussing the following issues:

1 What is a Mantis Shrimp?

2 Facts and Myths of Mantis Shrimp

3 How to catch an unwanted hitchhiker Mantis Shrimp

4 How to set up a species-only tank for a Mantis Shrimp

5 Personal Safety hints for those keeping Mantis Shrimp

6 How to care for your Mantis Shrimp

7 Acclimation, diseases, etc.

Very cool Curt! I'm sure people will appreciate what you will be doing as well as enjoy it. I've always found them fascinating, but never wanted to put any in my tank because of the stories I heard about them. I'll definately be tagging along to see if all I heard was fact or just fiction:) Here are 2 mantis shrimps I caught locally (at low tide in puddles) to take their pics and then released them...

Best wishes to you Curt on your workshop:)

krish75 said:
Best wishes to you Curt on your workshop:)

Thanks. However, I'm not off to a very good start. A power surge (there are no storms or anything right now) just destroyed 2 1/2 hours of research and typing. AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Thanks. However, I'm not off to a very good start. A power surge (there are no storms or anything right now) just destroyed 2 1/2 hours of research and typing. AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Oh boy...Hope you don't have short term memory:shock:

NOTE TO READERS....Mantis Shrimp are predators. I have included some links to video's. If the video shows the mantis shrimp hunting, I will note that in the link for squeamish readers.

What is a Mantis Shrimp?

Stomatopods are not shrimp. They reside in the subphylum Crustacea like shrimp. However, they reside in a completely different Class, Order, Family, and Genus. So why are they called Mantis Shrimp? A picture is worth a thousand words.

stomat-3.jpg

The obvious answer is that they look like some evil scientist managed to attach the front end of a praying mantis to the back end of a shrimp. As you can see, they have legs but they also have swimmerets and a powerful tail. When people tell you to tip a glass against the LR or use the soda bottle trick to capture a mantis, you won't be successful. They can swim quite well as you will see in the following videos and will swim right out of those traps.

There are 17 families of Mantis Shrimp and there are many species within each family.

FAMILIES:
Alainosquillidae, Bathysquillidae, Coronididae, Erythrosquillidae, Eurysquillidae, Gonodactylidae, Hemisquillidae, Indosquillidae, Lysiosquillidae, Nannosquillidae, Odontodactylidae, Parasquillidae, Protosquillidae, Pseudosquillidae, Squillidae, Takuidae, Tetrasquillidae

Okay....that's enough big words. For practical purposes, most hobbiests only need to rely on two different classifications.....Spearers or Smashers. Being even more practical, most hobbiests really only need to know about Smashers. Spearers are very efficient fish predators that live in burrows in the sand. As a result, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that you will accidentally get one with a shipment of Live Rock. They fold their raptorial appendage (or dactlys) under their main body like a praying mantis. Their dactyls have a spear tip with additional barbs or spines. Once they spear into the side of a fish, the barbs prevent the fish from getting off of the spear.Here is a video of a spearer capturing a fish Here is a video of a spearer walking into it's burrow and then capturing a fish

Smashers (AKA thumbsplitters) are what hobbiests are most familiar with. Their dactyls are also held under the body like a praying mantis. However, in most smasher species, the clubs are larger, lack barbs or spines, and are very strong. They are typically called clubs. Smashers prey primarily consists of animals that live in shells (snails, hermit crabs, clams, and mollusks) or have an exoskeleton (shrimp, crabs). The mantis need a way to break the shells or exoskeleton and they use their clubs to do it. This is the common 'clicking sound' that you read about on the reefing boards. Additionally, they will make dens in live rock by using their clubs to breaking off pieces. Obviously, this also makes the 'clicking sound'. Here's a slow motion video showing the strike on a snail. (Note that this video was slowed down by a factor of 883 because Mantis Shrimp have one of the fastest movements in the animal kingdom).

Here's a video that is safe for squeamish readers....however, high-speed Internet access is recommended (Note that there are 3 hermit crabs in the tank all hiding on the same coral at the very top of the tank).
Here's another safe video of someone feeding a very small N. wennerae fish food with forceps
Here's a peacock mantis hunting a shrimp
Here's a video of a hermit crab that made a mistake by leaving it's shell to try to escape

I would be doing a poor job if I didn't include links to some very good resources. Dr. Roy Caldwell is one of the premier marine biologists studying stomatopods. He put together an identification page on Common Aquarium Stomatopods. Additionally, The Lurker's Guide to Stomatopods has a lot of good information.

Last edited:
This is pretty much basic information. I don't know if you will have any questions or not, but the topic is closed so ask away.

Very nice Intro Curt!! I loved the videos! I couldn't watch all from my work computer, but I will take a look when I get home:)

Great stuff Curt. I really appreciate you taking the time to educate us on these fascinating animals.

Brian

Great start-up post! Look forward to more information!

Well I hate it when I loose lots of work like that but you made a nice come back Curt, thanks look forward to reading more.

Hi there Curt. No worries about the copying of format :) This will be an awesome workshop!!

Best,
Ilham

Before I start this section, I wanted to give you another video. Dr. Roy Caldwell taught his peacock mantis how to solve a Rubik's Cube. Actually Roy couldn't do this. He said that couldn't even solve it by himself and he had to take it apart and put it back together correctly. This video shows a pretty good close-up of a Peacock's eyes (which are also in my signature). Peacock mantis and Rubik's Cube.

Facts and Myths of Mantis Shrimp

MYTH #1: You can find out where your mantis lives by using a red lens over a flashlight after the lights have been out for several hours.

Fact #1: The fact is that this trick is useful for finding crabs but not mantis. Mantis have the best vision of any known animal. They have stereo vision (and therefore depth perception) on each eye. (Does that mean that they have Quadraphonic vision if they have both eyes? Boy I just aged myself and if you understand that comment you've aged yourself as well). :)

Your mantis is simply sitting in it's den wondering why you're shining a flashlight into the tank. We can only see combinations of Red, Blue, and Yellow. Mantis, on the other hand, have 16 visual pigments vs our 3 including ultra-violet, infra-red, and in some species, polarized lighting. Additionally, many deep-water species fluoresce to signal species, sex, level of fertility, etc. If you want to find a den, look for rubble that's been moved and a pile of broken shells in a pile near your live rock.

MYTH #2: My hitchhiking mantis is going to break my tank or break my hand

Fact #2: Highly unlikely. While there are a few species that are capable of this, to my knowledge, they are rarely hitchhikers. If you have a very inexpensive tank with thin glass, it helps to put down a piece of plexiglass under the sandbed. (These issues will be described in section 4). The reality is that mantis have one of the fastest movements in nature so they have the acceleration thing down pat. Simple Newtonian physics explains why they aren't going to break your tank. Force = Mass x Acceleration. While they have the acceleration thing down pat, most hitchhikers don't have the mass to damage you very much nor your tank. Don't get me wrong....a strike definitely hurts. However, most hitchhikers are not going to cause long term damage provided you are being wise and wearing gloves.

MYTH #3: You have a recently set up tank and all of your fish died. Therefore you must have a mantis.

FACT #3: You might. However, this is not likely the cause of all of your fish deaths. I've kept fish with many species of mantis without any problem. If they are hungry enough, they will take out a fish....they prefer snails, crabs, and shrimp though. I solved that problem by not letting them get hungry enough. I've never once lost a fish to a mantis. However, I have lost a fish to a bright yellow Ophiuroid and I've lost two to an Eriphia sebana (red-eyed crab from heck). With the above said, I wouldn't recommend keeping fish that sleep in the substrate with a mantis nor many gobies/blenny's that rest on the rock/substrate. Mantis have become the "Boogeyman" of reefkeeping and that characterization is not accurate.

More Facts and Myths coming tomorrow.....

SOURCES:
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/aquarius/index.html
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteD...oduktNr=223831&Ausgabe=230971&ArtikelNr=86229
http://www.crustacea.net/crustace/stomatopoda/index.htm
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/04/21_shrimp.shtml

Last edited:
OK - I'm gullible enough to even consider that mantis solved the Rubik's cube. GAAA! I watched the video twice before I went back and reread the first part of the post. Now I feel really dumb. ROFL! :lol:

Great info...keep it up!

That video is totally amazing. I was very interested in how many strikes the mantis took on the octopus. Do stomatopods normally eat/hunt the blue-ring octopus in the wild?

NOTE: I apologize for the latess of this post. I've been quite busy as of late.

That video is totally amazing. I was very interested in how many strikes the mantis took on the octopus. Do stomatopods normally eat/hunt the blue-ring octopus in the wild?

Certain species do. That particular video was some research on predator-prey relationships. They are trying to figure out why mantis don't die after ingesting a blue-ring. Some people were angry after seeing that video because it appeared to be an unfair fight. Dr. Roy discusses his methods and reasoning here. If you watch the video, the O.s. constantly turns the Octo so that the beak is pointed the other way.Tonmo thread.

Myth #4: Mantis have stereo vision. (This is a myth spread by myself accidentally in an above post :))

Fact #4: The truth is that mantis possess TRInocular stereovision. The midband of the eye sees all of the colors while the upper and lower hemispheres see form and motion. You can see all three parts of the eyes in this picture.
35304592_6210909079.jpg

BTW, the black dot's in the upper and lower hemispheres appear and disappear and change location. It's quite freaky. You can see a little bit of this on the Rubicks Cube video.

"It's been blowing us away for years how complex the stomatopod visual system is. There's no question this is the most complex eye in the animal kingdom. It has the same capability in the ultraviolet alone that we have in normal light."

— Roy Caldwell, UC Berkeley

EDIT: I was trying to figure out how to explain trinocular stereovision. It's used by computer 3D modelling and mantis too. Here's a good web page that describes it better than I can. http://users.utcluj.ro/~vision/index_files/page0006.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back